Skip to content
Facial Hair?!
kellbear posted:
After I had a hysterectomy at age 28, I'm now 36, I noticed I began to grow facial hair. I'm a redhead so the hair is blond and is not very noticable except for in sun light or if you look closely. It really bothers me though. It keeps me skin from looking as smooth as it could. I have tried tweezing and epilators, it takes too long and it causes me to breakout. I've tried electrolysis but you have to tweeze afterwards for it to work and the fore mentioned problem occurs. I've tried electric shavers and Nair but it's only a temporary fix. Does anyone have any sugestions or tips on how to deal with this that is a permanent or semi-permanent solution?

Take the Poll

Did you get more facial hair after you began menopause?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Haven't Noticed
vote
View Poll Results

Anon_6061 responded:
I also developed facial hair after my hysterectomy (also 8 years ago). I use an epilator type tool to remove it for the most part. My skin aged a lot after the surgery too so the added hair just adds "insult to injury." If I could only take all that facial hair I remove to replace the scalp hair I have lost!

Anon_6061 responded:
Forgot to mention - There is a prescription cream for reducing facial hair. It is called Vaniqa. I suspect it is pretty expensive. I have not used it.

kellbear replied to Anon_6061's response:
I have also noticed that my skin has aged a lot as well. I look ten years older than I should. Also my scalp has become very dry and itchy and it's not as thick and lush as it once was. I agree, if only I could put the face hair on my head! I hate menopause!!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website