Includes Expert Content
Very Bad Cramping-Post Menopausal
vegas6013 posted:
I am 52 years old and have not had a period in well over a year with the exception of a little spotting a few times. The last time I had spotting was months ago. Sometimes I have period like symptoms that I used to get when I had my period such as very bad headache that won't go away for 3 days, minor cramping or twinges, and loose bowels. Today however, I have very very bad cramping, as if I am bleeding very heavily. I am not bleeding at all. I have been diagnosed with cysts and fibroids in the past. Could I be bleeding internally? (I am also anemic, which was found a year ago while in the hospital for unexplained adema in feet). I have no insurance.... not enough $$ for doctor visit. What should I do. I am in a lot of pain! I have taken 5 Aleve already today, and it is not helping one bit.... Thank you,
Lisa

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear vegas6013,
I hope by now you are feeling better; beyond what you've already done, I don't know that there's a lot else you could do on your own. You still sound like you are not totally through with menopause (you are still perimenopausal-it sounds like you have some degree of ovarian activity). I would check out your local Planned Parenthood; they do a lot more than contraception (like doing general women's health) and they usually have sliding scales for payment. What I am wondering is if you could have closed off your cervix-which happens fairly rarely, but can happen-and does it need to be stretched open (which you cannot do on your own; an examiner needs to take a look vaginally) to help let some blood out which could be accumulating in the uterus. If this pain is persisting, do try to see a health care provider who could do a pelvic exam for you.
Good luck,
Mary Jane