Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Very Bad Cramping-Post Menopausal
vegas6013 posted:
I am 52 years old and have not had a period in well over a year with the exception of a little spotting a few times. The last time I had spotting was months ago. Sometimes I have period like symptoms that I used to get when I had my period such as very bad headache that won't go away for 3 days, minor cramping or twinges, and loose bowels. Today however, I have very very bad cramping, as if I am bleeding very heavily. I am not bleeding at all. I have been diagnosed with cysts and fibroids in the past. Could I be bleeding internally? (I am also anemic, which was found a year ago while in the hospital for unexplained adema in feet). I have no insurance.... not enough $$ for doctor visit. What should I do. I am in a lot of pain! I have taken 5 Aleve already today, and it is not helping one bit.... Thank you,
Lisa

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear vegas6013,
I hope by now you are feeling better; beyond what you've already done, I don't know that there's a lot else you could do on your own. You still sound like you are not totally through with menopause (you are still perimenopausal-it sounds like you have some degree of ovarian activity). I would check out your local Planned Parenthood; they do a lot more than contraception (like doing general women's health) and they usually have sliding scales for payment. What I am wondering is if you could have closed off your cervix-which happens fairly rarely, but can happen-and does it need to be stretched open (which you cannot do on your own; an examiner needs to take a look vaginally) to help let some blood out which could be accumulating in the uterus. If this pain is persisting, do try to see a health care provider who could do a pelvic exam for you.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website