Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
No Sex Drive
An_257336 posted:
I have been menopausal for about 7 years. I have completely lost my sex drive and no longer want sex. It is also very painful. My husband tells me that I no longer love him and that it is all in my head. I know that if this continues we will probably get divorced.

Is there anything I can do to get back my libido?

Anon_6061 responded:
I understand what you are going through. I am also in menopause (had a hysterectomy 8 years ago) and lost all desire. Testosterone did not help but I know it helps some women. I am on estrogen and have tried vaginal estrogen too and that has not helped me. But I have very little sensation in my parts due to the nerves and blood vessels that were cut. I know vaginal estrogen helps some women in menopause. It heals the tissues which should improve sensation. Have you ever tried it? There are creams (Estrace and Premarin) or tablets (Vagifem). Hope you find something that helps.

coqsy4me replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thank you for the info! I will look into these the next time I visit my OBGYN.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to coqsy4me's response:
Dear coqsy4me,
I would agree that vaginal estrogens might be quite helpful for the discomfort. And a lubricant at the time of intercourse (something like Astroglide or KY) could be helpful, too. Many women do use testosterone with some success; so it is worthwhile discussing it with your health care provider, as well. The North American Menopause Society website, Menopause.org, has a good section on loss of libido, including a discussion of testosterone therapy. Good luck,
Mary Jane

kellbear responded:
I had a hysterectomy 8 years ago and up till a couple years ago I had the same problem. My doctor prescribed me vaginal estrogen (Vagifem) a couple years ago and it helped with the dryness, itchyness and pain during intercourse. We now enjoy more pain free intercourse than when we first got together. (Because I had endometriosis when we got together. It was painful to have sex.) I hope this helps.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website