Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
11 Months No Period Still Have Days Of Ovulatory Mucus?
violetcreams posted:
It has now been about 11 months since my last period- I am 54. During the last year I have still have episodes when I feel like I am trying to ovulate, and will have characteristic stringy clear egg white type mucus that was always part of my cycle for a few days intermittently.

Is this normal? No bleeding at all but just still feel as if I have periods of high oestrogen which I assume is stimulating the cervical mucus. Anyone else have this?

When should I expect things to dry up completely and should I be happy that I have not yet experienced atrophy or dryness? Do we often have more secretions before less in menopause?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Violetcreams,
It isn't unusual to still have some degree of ovarian activity at this point. Estrogen levels usually decline gradually, and secretions due tend to decrease. If vaginal dryness becomes problematic, there are many over the counter remedies (moisturizers such as Replens) and many prescription remedies if the over the counter products don't take care of the problem.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

violetcreams replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Dear Mary Jane,

Thank you so much once again for your wonderful advice. It is appreciated so much.

Very best wishes,

Violetcreams

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website