Skip to content
Vaginal Itchiness & Pain - etc... WAHH!
marykaykaren posted:
Hi,

First time poster - I just turned 50 in December. After several bouts of flu in December and January, I was yanked off the pill for high blood pressure. (which was fine - I am single - not having sex!) Since December - no period. For a past couple of months I've had bladder issues, gone in - no infections. Now, an awful itchiness "down there" .. to the point I've caused myself to bleed. I started using "Vagisill" about twice a day and it's been helping.. but I wonder how long this is going to last - I can't keep reapplying all day long!

My mom and sister both went thru menopause in their late 40's and early 50's.. and I was diagnosed w/ perimenopause about 6 years ago.. so, I know I'm due. I don't get the night sweats like everyone talks about, but I don't get a full nights sleep anymore. I cry at a drop of a hat, and watch out mood swings!

I can deal with all the above - but I'm ready to go nutz over this itchiness... Can anyone give advice??

Anon_6061 responded:
The itchiness (absent a yeast infection or some other abnormality) could very well be due to lower estrogen levels. The urogenital tissues (including the vagina, urethra, bladder) become "cranky" and susceptible to infections when estrogen levels fall during the menopause transition and after.

There are some prescription vaginal estrogen products (Estrace cream, Premarin cream, or Vagifem pessaries) that will heal the tissues and keep things "plumped up" and lubricated. Replens is an OTC moisturizer that is supposed to last for 3 days but will only treat the symptoms, not the underlying cause.

And Dr. Minkin has mentioned the new drug, Osphena, a non-hormonal oral pill that also treats vaginal dryness and atrophy. You have probably seen TV commercials for it.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website