Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Sex and Menopause
An_257582 posted:
I am almost one year into menopause. The last sexual relationship I was in I was still having cycles.
Now that my body is different I want to know what precautions do I need to be aware of when I become active again? Is pregnancy possible? Are STD's, HIV/AIDS, etc. still something I should be aware of? How do I stay sexually safe at this time in my life?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_257582,
You are asking good questions. Indeed, after a year of no periods, you do not need to use contraception. But practicing safe sex: using a condom-is still very important. Discussing these issues with a potential partner is very important. Some couples go to a health care provider and do testing for the major sexually transmitted diseases-So stay as careful as you are.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website