Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
HRT for premature menopause
An_257584 posted:
I am 34 years old and I was diagnosed with premature menopause last year and was given a HRT cycloproginova pills. I finished my first round and after 6 days I am still not getting cycle. Should I continue with taking pills of cyclopr. even if I don't get menstrual cycle?
In 2010 I had removed endometriosis, cysts on both ovaries.
Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An257584,
I had to go check exactly what was in cycloproginova; it is a good medication, which is basically cyclical estrogen and estrogen plus progestin, in the second half of the cycle. (It is a combination that is not available in the US, but is available in Europe). In general, I would just reassure you that it is indeed not uncommon with low dose estrogen replacement therapy to not get a withdrawal bleed; so in general I would tell my patients just to start the next cycle. My slight hesitancy is that it is remotely possible for ovaries in this situation to "wake up"-ie, is there any possibility you could be pregnant-have you been sexually active? I would just (because of my very cautious nature)-suggest that you check in with your gynecologist-
Good luck,
Mary Jane
An_257584 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you very much for your reply. Well I was sex. active only one time, like 3 weeks ago. I will def. check if by any chance I am pregnant, but I doubt it. I don't really understand what did you mean by: My slight hesitancy is that it is remotely possible for ovaries in this situation to "wake up". ?
Unfortunately I was also diagnosed with POF.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website