Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Goinfg off Vivelle-Dot
itchintampa posted:
I have been on Vivelle-Dot 0.075 for about 5 years now. My new family doctor wants me to get off because of the chance of getting cancer, he says it's not worth the risk. I fought him on this for a while but finally gave in. My hope is that he is right, but if not I will insist on going back on the Vivelle.

I do use Vagifem 10mcg 3 times a week, and he is ok with that.

My question to you is, what to expect? I have been using 1 patch per week for 4 weeks now, and was told to use 1 patch every 2 weeks for the next month and then go off. I am noticing I get very tired early in the day, is this to be expected? Will I get used to it? Please help, I feel that you can maybe shine a light on the subject for me.

Thank you,
Mayra

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Mayra,
Far better than using a patch for a longer time period would be to use a lower dose patch, but change it regularly (still ideally twice a week) The other possibility is to cut your patches in half, but just change them the same twice weekly frequency. And I taper folks very slowly.
But I would also suggest that you might want to wait until the fall to taper-it's really tough to cut down estrogen during a hot summer. Why not wait until the fall when it's cooler?
(they do make Vivelle in doses of .05, .0375, and .025-or you can cut your .075 patch into smaller pieces-whatever works better for you)
Good luck
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website