Includes Expert Content
I need help please
kerri3t posted:
I'm not sure what to even ask, I'm 35yrs old and feel like I'm losing my mind! I've already been dealing with this for almost a year and it just seems to get worse. I feel like I'm in a constant hot flash, once in a while I'm just freezing! My ears ring constantly, I cant sleep, i feel bloated n super moody, like I'm PMSing all the time, and thats not even the half of it! Ugh! Always tired n just wanna cry! What is happening to me?! I have tlkd to my gyno and my family doc and they both confirmed I've started menopause but neither have told me what to expect or do except not to go off my bcp. I feel so lost! I need any advice i can get. My stepson has been gone for 2 mos visiting his mom but will b back next wk, was hoping to have something figured out bfor he got home so i wouldnt feel so crazy, it hasnt happened! I don't want to have this affect him. He's only 10. My job is a server in a restaurant but its getting harder every day since I'm always distracted and moody. Not great for the tip aspect! Please help! Also, trying to quit smoking. Maybe not the best time? I want to pull my hair out! Have to wrk in the morn but once again, still awake at 4am.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear kerri3t,
I am confused; are you taking birth control pills regularly? and how have your health care providers diagnosed menopause while you are on the pill? Do you get hot flashes and other symptoms the week off the pill? Is that how they are coming to that diagnosis? Because if that's the case, you can take pills straight through-you don't have to skip the pills to have a period. If you are on the pill, there are perhaps other pills that might be better for your symptoms.
Alas, I am going to be a tough person, and encourage you to try to stop smoking. It is hard; but smoking makes hot flashes worse. And even more importantly, the combo of birth control pills and smoking, in women over 35, isn't too terrific-so if you can start working on smoking cessation, it would be worth it.
Good luck,
Mary Jane