Includes Expert Content
Menstrual cramping all month long
LindaG1969 posted:
Hello, I've been experiencing dull menstrual-type cramps and lower back ache even when I'm not ovulating or PMS'ing. I'm 40, just starting to show signs of perimenopause. Ibuprofen isn't helping like it does when I'm having real menstrual cramps. I was wondering if this is a common symptom of perimenopause? I've done many different searches but can't find anything on having menstrual-type cramps while not menstruating. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions! Linda

Suesummer responded:
Hey did you ever get any feedback on this? I am 36 and currently having the same issues. I do not have health insurance, so I have been avoiding going to the doctor. Let me know if you got any answers- Thanks!

Dee88 responded:
Hello, I am 40 also and i started having the same problem, period cramps all month long, i can't find any answers either. i went to the gyn and she had no answer for me either, have you received any feedback on this yet?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to Dee88's response:
Dear Dee88,
In general, cramping isn't associated with menopause; but it certainly can have other gyn causes. One cause could be something like endometriosis, which is fairly common. To diagnose endometriosis, sometimes we have to go as far as a laparoscopy, looking inside the pelvis. If you do go to the point of doing a laparoscopy, the gynecologist can actually treat (with things like laser), in the pelvis, to destroy the endometriosis.
One other option that can be helpful is, if you are a good candidate for birth control pills (in good health and a non smoker), a month or two of pills can be helpful in both diagnosing and treating a problem.
So I would talk to your doc about possibly trying some pills, and if they didn't help, did she think you might benefit from a look inside?
Hope you feel better soon,
Mary Jane