Skip to content
Severe perimenopause symptoms
wantingalifeafter40 posted:
I am 47 and 1 year our from a partial hysterectomy. I still have both of my ovaries but had severe fibroids so had to have my uterus removed. I have suffered with HEAVY periods and severe mood swings since my mid 30's and was hoping the hysterectomy would help. It helped with the bleeding but now it appears I am right in the middle of perimenopause. I exercise, eat healthy and take natural supplements. I am having mood swings so bad now I don't even want to be with myself. I also have started to have the sensation of my skin crawling which is now keeping me up at night. Ughhhhhh. Any advice would be much appreciated!! I am open to all suggestions at this point.

Anon_6061 responded:
I am also suffering post-hysterectomy and wish I was whole again. It's a shame you lost your uterus for fibroids when there are organ-sparing treatments (meds for the bleeding or fibroid removal).

Ovarian failure after hysterectomy occurs about 40% of the time so it is not surprising you are having these symptoms. Plus you are at the age of perimenopause.

Have you thought about taking estrogen? I personally don't think I could function without it.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 32 found this helpful