Skip to content
Severe perimenopause symptoms
wantingalifeafter40 posted:
I am 47 and 1 year our from a partial hysterectomy. I still have both of my ovaries but had severe fibroids so had to have my uterus removed. I have suffered with HEAVY periods and severe mood swings since my mid 30's and was hoping the hysterectomy would help. It helped with the bleeding but now it appears I am right in the middle of perimenopause. I exercise, eat healthy and take natural supplements. I am having mood swings so bad now I don't even want to be with myself. I also have started to have the sensation of my skin crawling which is now keeping me up at night. Ughhhhhh. Any advice would be much appreciated!! I am open to all suggestions at this point.

Anon_6061 responded:
I am also suffering post-hysterectomy and wish I was whole again. It's a shame you lost your uterus for fibroids when there are organ-sparing treatments (meds for the bleeding or fibroid removal).

Ovarian failure after hysterectomy occurs about 40% of the time so it is not surprising you are having these symptoms. Plus you are at the age of perimenopause.

Have you thought about taking estrogen? I personally don't think I could function without it.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website