Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Vaginal dryness and Painfull Intercourse
    An_258750 posted:
    I can't take any estregen because I had a blood clot in my leg and the ddoctor will not prescribe any meds for me because of this. Any suggestions?
    Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
    Dear An_258750,
    You certainly can try some over the counter products. Replens is a long acting moisturizer that you apply two to three times a week on an ongoing basis, and it can be quite helpful. You also would probably benefit from using a lubricant like Astroglide at the time of sex, as well as a long acting moisturizer. If this is not effective, you should chat again with your doctor about vaginal estrogens. The amount of estrogen that is absorbed is truly miniscule, and has not been shown to increase the risk of blood clots.
    Good luck,
    Mary Jane
    jginn replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
    Thank you for your advise. I will truly purchase the Replens and the Astroglide. Hopefully this will help, if not I will discuss the problem again with my doctor.

    Featuring Experts

    Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

    Helpful Tips

    Hot flash & Night sweat relief
    I am 51 and started perimenopause 6 years ago. I experience hot flashes and night sweats heavily every two weeks - the time I usually ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website