Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Vaginal dryness and Painfull Intercourse
An_258750 posted:
I can't take any estregen because I had a blood clot in my leg and the ddoctor will not prescribe any meds for me because of this. Any suggestions?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_258750,
You certainly can try some over the counter products. Replens is a long acting moisturizer that you apply two to three times a week on an ongoing basis, and it can be quite helpful. You also would probably benefit from using a lubricant like Astroglide at the time of sex, as well as a long acting moisturizer. If this is not effective, you should chat again with your doctor about vaginal estrogens. The amount of estrogen that is absorbed is truly miniscule, and has not been shown to increase the risk of blood clots.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

jginn replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you for your advise. I will truly purchase the Replens and the Astroglide. Hopefully this will help, if not I will discuss the problem again with my doctor.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website