Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Nonstop bleeding
mitinytoes posted:
I have had my period for two and a half weeks. It started with spotting for four days then bleeding ever since. Luckily no cramps. I am in my late 40's and want to know is this normal. Is this the beginning of menopause? I have no sisters, my mom had a historectomy in her early 40's and no close friends to ask.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear mitinytoes,
Certainly perimenopause can begin with this type of symptom; it is related to the fact that we stop ovulating super well as we head towards menopause; our production of progesterone goes down, and we lose good regulation of our periods. I would check in with your gynecologist; there certainly can be other causes of persistent bleeding, and in the face of persistent bleeding, many docs would want to rule out the other causes before assuming it is perimenopausal. Relatively minor medical intervention (something like progesterone-type pills) can be very helpful to get this under control.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website