Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Taking progesterone
annb54 posted:
My doctor put me on progesterone about three weeks ago. I am 59 and still having a light period every few months with symptoms.My question is I just spotted and feel like I am having a period.Is this normal on this medication?.Also I was about an hour later taking this medicine and I know that you are suppose to take it the same time everyday.Thanks for your help.

annb54 responded:
Sorry I forgot to ask should I keep taking this medicine or should I call the doctor? She told me she wanted the wall of my uterus to start thinning.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to annb54's response:
Dear annb54,
Progesterone is a good medication to keep the lining of the uterus in check. Indeed, some women are quite sensitive to dosing; although being off one hour would be unusual to start symptoms, it is possible. So nothing sounds worrisome, and it sounds like your doctor is on top of the situaton.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

annb54 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thanks for making me feel better.I do hope this medicine helps.I know it is strange that I still have a light period every few months.So I really hope this works.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website