Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Progesterone Symptons
annb54 posted:
Can you tell me if taking progesterone can make your period last longer?I have been having a very light period for five days.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear annb54,
Progesterone can certainly affect bleeding; but to give you a more exact response, I'd need to know when you started it, what sort of progesterone you were taking, what about estrogen? etc.-but the short answer is that it certainly can affect bleeding,
Mary Jane

annb54 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I started Norethindrone 5mg three weeks ago. My period has now ended just lasted three days longer than normal.I am taking this medicine to help thin my uterus.I am 59 and still having a light period every 5 to 6 weeks .My doctor now has ask me to come in and get a biopsy just to make sure everything is ok.The longest I have ever went is 11 months.I have all my usual symptoms.Does this sound like I am on the right track?Could I be the few women that are later going through menopause?Thanks for your advice

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to annb54's response:
Dear annb54,
By 60, most women are menopausal; so we cannot put you into the record books yet. Average age is indeed 51 years; but some women are doing what you are doing. Norethindrone is a very reasonable medication to help get the lining of the uterus under control.
Good luck, hope it works well for you,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website