Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
menopause....cravings
SUSAN93W posted:
I just started my menopause, all so far mild. But my question during menopause do you have cravings. Like I'm always looking for something to munch on. It doesn't have anything major. It is like being on my period. with the munchies. Has anyone else went through this. or is it just me..
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Marsha4959 responded:
Yes, cravings are a part of it. But I would suggest eating fruits and veggies, not fattening foods. As was my misstake and am now in over 10 years of going through Menopause. I gained over 50 pounds from the over 10 years of going through Menopause. Every woman is different in her things going through Menopause. webmd.com is a good sight for helping you understand.

alexdanielbennett responded:
Totally Agree!! My mom went through the same thing.

loricia responded:
yes, i'm 49 have been menopausing for the past 3 yrs and here recently i have been craving some of everything , i thought it was just me but i see iam not alone

loricia responded:
oh yeah ladies, how about those anxiety attacks i have experienced this as well with menopausing,lack of interest in sex (and i am married) and don't mention the emotions up and downs and mood swings..let me tell me you i hhave called on Jesus a lot cause this body is going through some things. I' praying for deliverence...

arnite responded:
I've been in perimenopause since last summer. My periods go away for a few months and then come back. When I'm having my periods, I don't have the cravings. When I don't have the periods, I do. I manage the carb cravings by eating more fruit like apples, strawberries, melon. Fruit has natural sugar. I also eat popcorn with no butter it's a carb and good fiber. The challenge is to find foods that you like that are healthy that will assist with getting rid of the cravings.

Even after I've had a good meal and chosen a healthy carb, I still feel 'hungry' but I try to keep busy to bypass that 'hungry' feeling.

I've been successful with maintaining my weight by weighing myself every day and making healthy food choices. I also have a recumbant exercise bike at home that I'm on 7 days a week for 40 minutes. I also do handweights 3 times a week. I'm going to try the suggestion someone made earlier about using heavier weights and less cardio and see how it goes.

It is a challenge to maintain my weight but somehow it's working for me so far. One suggestin I have is to see a nutritionist...they can usually help more than the doctor can.

Now if I can only get rid of the hot flashes to get a good night's sleep so I'm not so exhausted all the time!

I appreciated this posting immensely. I was wondering if others had cravings also.

Good luck to all!

amanda2581 responded:
I am 53 year old women way over weight I am on a new eating plan and exercise regime,I have lost 6lbs so far,Thought I was in menopause AGAIN!! When mother nature reared that ugly period at me that is heavy painful all over my body and all I want is chocolate and it is Easter,And all I see around me is chocolate rabbits,eggs,you name it,I just gave in and ate some that was all i could do,I am also on insulin so it was sugar free,which still has sugar,People think diabetes develops because of consumeing too many sweets and that is not the case,Please read up on it on web md you will be surprised,slipper

buddacup responded:
Hi Susan, Oh yes, do I have the munchies! Ever since I started menopause last year Ive been "grazing" especially at night. I've gained almost 20 pounds in 5 months! Ice cream is my weakness and popcorn (Kettle corn-Smart Pop), Wheat thins are good and healthy, and I love pop tarts!. I have GOT to lay off eating at night. That will help, as I dont really eat too much during the day. My dr. says that my meds are probably making me gain weight too. Great!

survivor06 responded:
Thank you, Kim ! I did notice my jeans were loser in the butt & leg, and I don't know why the scale blew my mind so bad! I'm 42 and I wanna feel good about myself again, just had saline implants removed and replaced with silicone and I'm so happy.

I'm getting my big butt back on that treadmill, thanks for the encouragement!

Melissa

eeoyre responded:
Yes, I've been getting cravings too! I find myself eating when I'm not even hungry! And once I get into my head that I want something, I think about it until I get it! lol

Teehem responded:
I am 46 and have been in menopause for two years. At age 45, I was overweight and tired all the time. I hated looking like a fat, middle age woman. I changed my eating habits 100%. I eat healthy foods such as vegetables, fruits, lean meats and avoid junk food, pop, pasta, alcohol, carry out, white rice, sugar, salt, and white bread, etc. I also lift weights 5 days a week and run/walk 6-7 days a week depending on how my body feels. I am losing weight and loving it. However, every month I crave sweets. It is as if my body still thinks it is getting ready to have a period. I get emotional too. So far, no hot flashes or other menopausal side effects. I am not on any hormones. I am trying to lose my last 10 lbs. and sometimes get set back because of these cravings. I have found out though that foods that make me unable to stop eating them are definitely foods I need to avoid. For instance. I love chocolate rice cakes and chocolate animal crackers. However, one bite, and I can't stop. Therefore, they are not allowed in my house!!! I keep Yoplait yogurt on hand, Extra gum, fruit, and drink lots of water!!!!!!

kaykow66 responded:
yes, I have cravings. I crave chocolate and pepsi and even if I have chocolate and/or pepsi, I still crave them!

earringdesigner responded:
I just started menopause. I feel like every day/night is the day/night is right before my period starts. I used to get horrible salt/sugar craving then. Now that it has stopped, It is much worse. I have these cravings every day/night of the week. I am supposed to be dieting to lose this weight. I wish there were no vending machines at my job. I am totally out of control. I am hoping that someone out there can help me. I feel like I am startig a diet every day of the week. I am safe when I am home, no vending machines there!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to earringdesigner's response:
Dear Earringdesigner,
One reason you may notice the similarity is that during the regular menstrual cycle, your estrogen level is lowest the day before your period starts, and the day it starts; then it starts climbing. Try to stay as active as you can, getting in as much exercise as you can. If you are a good candidate for a low dose birth control pill, you might find it helpful here-a low dose pill will control your hormone levels (you won't experience ups and downs) and you will probably feel more stable.
good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website