Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Menopause Mimics Heart Attack
lindalamb8 posted:
It seems that since I?ve been going thorough the change, I?ve been experiencing symptoms that mimic a heart attack. The night sweats, racing heart and terrible heartburn all combine to make me feel like I?m having a heart attack. And when this happens, I?m very likely to give myself a full-blown panic attack. I?ve had plenty of EKG?s that have all read normal. But it?s little consolation when these symptoms come on. My father died of a heart attack at the age of 58 but he smoked and drank heavily, neither of which I do at all. I?ve been to the ER enough times to say to myself, ?This is ridiculous?. I also know that just because an EKG reads normal doesn?t mean that you won?t experience a heart attack down the road. Has anyone else gone though this and if so, what are you dong for it? I have an appointment with both my OBGYN and PCP and will ask for advice from both but would still like to get anyone?s input. Thanks
FirstPrevious12NextLast

headband12 responded:
You are NOT alone. I suffer from racing heart, severe stomach pain, etc.... I also suffer from severe Anxiety/Panic!!! Have your doctor check you for Anemia. I know for a fact that can cause your heart to race!!! I too am not consoled by test results!!! God Bless and good luck to you!!!

Kelly

1smoothgal responded:
Lindalamb8-

you are describing hormone deficiency to a T. Please look into hormone replacement therapy right away to stop these attacks-they WILL escalate. Bio-identical or regular hormone therapy should stop your symptoms within a day or 2-NO JOKE. You sound 'too far gone' for OTC herbals. Good Luck. KIm

debosm responded:
I am sorry to here about your problems but at the same time relieved to know that I am not as crazy as I feel.

I have a racing heart, panic attacks, night sweats. I constantly feel as though I am having a heart attack. I have also been to the er and been sent home being told its an anxiety attack. I have had chest x-rays, ekg's, an echocardiogram and more blood tests than I can count. I have been told that everything is normal and that my heart is strong. But because my heart beats at more than 110 beats per minute I have now been put on metoprolol to slow my heart rate down. Just started today and it seems to be working. We'll see.

I am just so tired of feeling like crap all the time. I used to be very active but now feel like doing nothing. I think part of it is that underlying feeling that if I exert myself I will have a heart attack.

I can't seem to get my head straight. I'm just so tired of feeling like this.

Someone said to try progesterin cream. Don't know anything about this. Does anyone use this or know about it. I can't use HRT because of my family history of heart problems and stroke.

YellowstoneNut responded:
I know how you feel. I just had another echocardiogram done because it freaks me out. I get night sweats, and have lately been having a lot of trouble sleeping. I'm doing everything I can to avoid taking any kind of sleep aid, because I really don't want to take those.

I'm sorry you've not been well, and I know about the anxiety too. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who is having these symptoms, sometimes doctors make you feel like everything is all in your head.

pausalstrane responded:
Hello

I have had all the experiences you have mentioned including several visits to the ER, panic/anxiety so I do know how you are feeling. I have to say that if you can find the right combination of remedies, you will find relief. Please try and find yourself a good Naturalpathic and Homeopathic doctor who specializes in menopausal women. Nutritional supplements will help such as vitimin E with selenium for the flashes along with magnesium really help. Please visit www.project-aware.org and see the 35 menopause symptoms described in detail with other helpful information. Also the book, 'The Everything Health Guide to Menopause' 2nd edition is a good resource book by Kate Bracy and Dr. Christian Northrups book 'The Wisdom of Menopause'.

Hope this helps and take good care of yourself!

pausalstrane responded:
I forgot to mention Bio-Identical hormones have been helpful with all of the symptoms I have experienced. I have been on the cream since Dec 2008 and it has been a good experience so far. There is a homeopathic remedy that you should be able to buy at your local health food store called Aconitum, which works great for me when I feel an anxiety attack coming. You place 3 little pellets under your tongue and they dissolve into your system and you should feel immediate relief.

mewright responded:
Hi Linda. I have been having panic attacks and heart sypmtoms including heat surges over 3months. I have asked for a cardiac workup, lab work, stress test and echo stress test to rule out heart disease. I am sure it is menopause because of the overheated body. whew! i am burninig up now. This is scary to a point, I am afraid to run my 6 miles a week until the doctors rule out heart problems. The flutters occur occasionally and isn't normal. I too have the panic attack after the skipped beats and thumps. Can't wait til it is over if it is menopause. Thanks for sharing

misssophysticated replied to mewright's response:
Hi ladies,
Its so good to hear from you all, it is an amzing feeling to know that they are sisters other than your self that is going through that strange phenominal. I call it strange because I had my period, that was a welcome experience I knew that I am now a woman. I had sex for the first time, that also was welcome,I had my three kids that was overwhelmingly wonderful, pain and all that was welcomed. But for over a year now I have been having these scary feelings that at first I couldnt understand and it is not welcome but I am coping quite well. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and remedies.

God bless
DONT FORGET TO CHECK YOUR BREAST.

MsHoneyBe replied to misssophysticated's response:
Hi misssophysticated and all ladies, I mention you (miss.....) by name because the other discussions are 2yrs. to 9mo. old. Hopefully there still checking in. I am to turn 51 in May and for the last 2mo. my hot flashes had gotten so bad to where the sweat was literally dripping off me, heart raced, and I felt week also. Because I am a disabled chronic back pain patient (3 lumbar fusions) and on strong meds already, I feel like hormone replacement therapy is out. After talking with my pharmacist (same one for yrs.) so he knows what I'm on suggested a good multi-vitamin for over 50 and black-cohosh after 3 days I feel such and improvement!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it myself! I do know that it may not work for everyone but could be worth a try.......just make sure to ask if its safe to combo it with any other meds you may be on. The sweating has almost disappeared,and my heart feels like its gonna stay with me instead of jumping out of me! :*) I also have more energy and my moos is so much better, I'm sure its the sleep I'm getting now. I do not have to change linens daily either!!!

MsHoneyBe replied to MsHoneyBe's response:
Sorry but my signature seemed to disappear :^( So God Bless ya too and Gentle Hugs, Debi

An_205801 replied to MsHoneyBe's response:
Hi. Reading these posts reminded me so much of me. And yes, I can totally relate to the sensations of having a heart attack. About a year ago my heart would just start racing out of nowhere and for no reason. Sometimes it would accompany lightheadedness. Not understanding what was happening to my body led to anxiety which lead me to the emergency room numerous times in just a couple of months. I had numerous EKGs, chest xrays and blood tests which came out normal each time. I would also just start crying for no reason. Finally one day my neighbor who was in her early 70s suggested that I might be dealing with the symptoms of menopause. I couldn't believe it! After all I had already had night sweats and my last menstrual cycle was 3 years prior. In fact, I thought that I had cruised through menopause without the hot flashes and was post meonopausal. It turns out that my night sweats were just the beginning! After confirming my hormonal levels with my health care provider, I learned that I was still in menopause. I then took other tests to rule out any other possible causes for my heart racing. So far everything has been normal.

Now I still get those periods when my heart begins to race for no reason, but my anxiety has been diminished knowing that menopause causes so many changes in the body. I do agree that even with the tests, the onset of these symptoms can still be nerve racking. I find that it helps to talk to other women who are menopausal and experiencing these symptoms. I know that the original post was over 2 years ago. I'd like to know if things have improved since that time.

angelogal replied to An_205801's response:
ok, I just started going through this menapause "big time" here recently and also was taken to ER several weeks ago.
Now i am currently taking what i call my normal pills; have only been taking my pills for 2 weeks. Today i was at work and pow my heart started palpalating. The palpatations hurt somewhat and made me feel like i wanted to pass out. I coughed several times to get my barrings straight. It helped. I will admit I was scared. Evidently this is normal?

Woopsiedaisy replied to angelogal's response:
From what I have been learning some women do experience menopausal associated palpitations. However, palpitations could be caused by a variety of things so it is best to have it checked out and consult with a health care provider. The relief to me was that a variety of other things have been ruled out. Another important thing to know is that many others are`experiencing similar symptoms and if they really are menopausal related, you don't have to feel that you're uniquely experiencing them. As mentioned, I still get the palpitations but at least now I know how to respond to them. I find that Black Cohash works for me when the symptoms hit me. Before taking it, I discussed it with my health provider. Just as with most other things, caution is warranted. While I find it works for me, it may not be compatible with certain medications, herbs, diets, other supplements, body types and conditions.

runmotherof5 replied to Woopsiedaisy's response:
Hello, I am glad to read this as it gives me some hope. I recently started to experience what I believe to be heart problems. I am 44 and hadn't really thought it could be menopause. I am in good physical shape, run, cycle, pretty active so all the tests from ER have returned normal. The only thing (for which I still await 2nd cardiologist opinion) is that there is slight thickening of septum. Don't know if simultaneously I have/had an infection to cause that or if I do have heart problems possibly caused by too much cardio (read somewhere something related to runners & heart problems/enlarged hearts). This is all very frustrating (because doctors don't offer any help) and scary. My life is on hold for now as I wait for blood work (checking hormones, at my request/demand) as my doctor thought I was "too young" to have menopausal changes. In addition to my heart rate speeding out of control for no reason, I get shortness of breath and my arms, legs feel weak (as if about to pass out). My initial attack I actually felt tingling in left arm (a sensation of something squeezing my arm tightly). I seriously thought I was going to drop dead. Has anyone felt symptoms this severe? Also, I have not experienced hot sweats. ?? can you have these symptoms without the sweats? Thanks for sharing!!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website