Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    perimenopause symptoms in 30s
    MMML posted:
    Did any of you start experiencing perimenopause symptoms in your early/mid 30s??? I swear that is what is happening with me, but my dr tells me I am too young. Plus, i have had every test under the sun and all are normal.

It started right after I stopped taking BC in order to get pregnant with my first child--that was 2 years ago, I am now 33. I do remember even while taking on the BC patch that I felt anxious the week I was off of it and felt better when I would put a new patch on. After I stopped the BC, I had my first ever panic attack and was convinced I was dying or something. Went to the ER and they said everything was fine. After that date, I now am anxious, I have heart palpitations that I never had before, my periods are noticeably lighter (still very regular, but much lighter--only 1 heavy day and about 2 more light days), I spot for a couple days before my period, have had a few night sweats, and am very tired all the time. Plus, I just feel so spacey at times. I am so frustrated!!

I just don't know what to think and not many of my friends have this right now. Some said that their periods are lighter and they have more PMS or have anxiety, but none call it perimenopause. Sometimes I feel alone in this...since I am so young. I have a 15 month old and I just want to feel like myself.

Does this sound like perimenopause to anyone? Did anyone start this early???

Thanks so much for your time!

peach034 responded:
    From what you describe, sounds like you too are in perimenopause. www.webmd.com/menopause/guide/guide-perimenopause

I am 34 (soon to be 35) and have also had all tests done and Dr. says all are 'normal', including thyroid test. I would think that it's safe to say that you too are in perimenopause. The best advice I can give is eat healthy, exercise daily. I also take a womens Vita-Pak (I purchase at the GNC store for "menopause". It does help ease the discomforts of the HOT flashes/night sweats. My youngest child is 3yrs and he constantly keeps me on my toes, so I can also relate to the fatigue that you are talking about.

Good luck and God Bless! You're not alone! Together we CAN and WILL get through this, it's just a part of life to make us woemn STRONGER!! (*(*BIG HUGS*)*)

msddbrwr responded:
    Hi, I am 31 and believe I am going through premature menopausal also. It started with me having a few periods that were extremely light and havent had one for 3-4 months now.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to msddbrwr's response:
    Dear msddrwr,
    How are you feeling? Are you experiencing hot flashes? There are other causes for the type of menstrual changes you are experiencing. Do you have any children? Do you want to have children in the future? If you are interested in future pregnancies, I would strongly encourage you to check in with a gynecologist-the test that would give you the first answers would be a blood test for FSH and estradiol levels. If these are normal (not menopausal) then you can look for other explanations for the menstrual issues. If you are indeed menopausal, and want pregnancies in the future, you could start some interventions that might be of help. Even thyroid issues can give you the kind of period pattern that you are experiencing, so it is worthwhile checking in with your health care provider.
    Good luck, and let us all know follow up,
    Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Hot flash & Night sweat relief
    I am 51 and started perimenopause 6 years ago. I experience hot flashes and night sweats heavily every two weeks - the time I usually ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website