Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Cold Flashes??
vm1957 posted:
I'm peri-menopausel and have been having hot flashes for a little over a year. However, in just the past week or so I've been having cold flashes. Just like a hot flash only cold. These are then followed by a hot flash. To be honest the hot flash is almost welcomed to warm me back up... Is this "normal"?

Mamamoo58 responded:
Hi...I'm not sure if this qualifies as a "cold flash"...but I sometimes have cold chills that affect my neck and the top of my head...I remember my mother having these when she went through menopause and she would sit around with a pillow on top of her head!!! I told my Dr. about this and she'd never heard of it. I'm 49 and guess we can expect just about anything at this crazy time!!! ~~~Mamamoo58

cali55 responded:
Probably, but I sometimes get a chill after I've had a hot flash. My husband just looks at me with a grin and shakes his head, then we both laugh. I can't take HRT or anything with black cohosh because I've had breast cancer, so I"m trying to control the hot flashes by not having any caffeine, sugar or alcohol. Those are my triggers.

sb1958 responded:
It's the first time I heard of it in reverse. When I was plagued with night sweats, I would start out burning up. Then that would sometimes be followed by teeth chattering chills [which is why, even though generally recommended as helpful, I don't tolerate my bedroom temp. to be too cold>. The chills would be followed by another hot flash. It was as if my body couldn't get it right and it would over shoot in trying to warm back up [Grrrr!>. Thank goodness the black cohosh helps me.

kaykow66 responded:
I had an experience where I was extremely cold. I just couldn't get warm. When I went to bed, I was still cold. I was bundled up under the covers for a few hours then I got the worst hot flash I've ever had.

I've been taking black cohosh but it hasn't done anything for me.

somewherelse2 responded:
I thought it was just me... I have been getting hot flashes for about 4- 5 years and I am only 42. I have recently started have cold flashes that are much more than just a chill. The other day I had one so severe that I had get under 4 blankets and it was 2 1/2 hours before I warmed up. I told my nurse practitioner about it and she had never heard of this happening. She even seemed doubtful that it was related to menopause or my hot flashes and suggested I have my thyroid check. I have in the past had my thyroid hormone levels checked and they were normal. I have no nodules or enlargement of my thyroid either. I am convinced that this is part of the hormonal surges associated with menopause. I am sitting with two sweat shirts on, sweat pant and a a full length heavy chenile bathrobe and the heat is on 68 degrees. So, I decided to google cold flashes and here we are. Glad to know I am in good company. I find that excercise helps too.

whoknew123 responded:
I don't know if it's normal but what you describe is exactly what is happening to me. It STARTS with a cold flash. Super super cold. I pile on the layers. Then I begin to warm up. But the warming up doesn't stop and suddenly it's a hot flash. So layers start coming off. When I get hot I don't sweat. Not a drop. And the cold flash begins the cycle. I'll cycle through something like this dozens of times in an evening. In fact, it's happening as I write this. I think I now know why the shawl was invented. Sleeves are such a bother....

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to whoknew123's response:
Dear Whoknew,
I do have patients who report similar issues. And indeed, one of the fancy words for hot flashes is "vasomotor instability"-so the temperature center is sort of screwed up-and as we really do not know what triggers a hot flash, we don't know the cause of what you are experiencing-but one of the therapies you have been using is very smart: the concept of layered dressing is quite useful.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

linnerml replied to somewherelse2's response:
I always said I would never have a hot flash,I haven't, didn't know there was such a thing as cold flashes. The first time I thought I had a chill. Woke up one night shaking with the cold, turned the heat up, put on a housecoat over my nightdress, & 4 blankets, shook with the cold for about an hour. Having another one now, I am freezing, extra heat or clothing doesn't help very much. Don't really like this, but way better than a hot flash. When it stops I return to normal. No hot flash. Sometimes the cold lasts only a few minutes.

DLTMama responded:
I'm so glad I found this discussion! I'm almost 53 and just started having night sweats and hot flashes. I think I've been having the hot flashes during the day in the past 6 months, but I had been dismissing them to working hard! Just recently I noticed that before they begin I have a cold chill and then it's as if my body is responding by trying to heat me up and then I have a hot flash. So far I'm trying to keep my sense of humor, but the night sweats are awful since they interfere with my sleep.

After reading these posts I'm thinking that this is all part of the menopause master plan. It's nice to know I have a place to compare notes!

kbs2003 responded:
Oh yes I can so relate. All day long hot flash followed by cold flash, at least one an hour. I keep a bathrobe handy as it seems to be the best relief. I don't know what women who work or who live in the tropics do, seriously. At night I can get a couple of hours sleep without interruption. It's humorous...if I need to get up in the cold to do something, all I have to do is wait until a hot flash. I've found my triggers are "thinking"--anytime the part of my brain kicks in that handles thinking about what I might say or what might happen . . . and I don't mean worry, just thinking about it . . . also needing to go to the bathroom seems to kick off a hot flash. When I'm in the gym I notice them but they don't bother me as much, but exercise in itself doesn't help me. It's been going on for I guess 5 years and frankly though I'm used to it--just part of life now--it does get kind of tiring. I'm reticent to taking hormones if I can help it. Have made it this long with just a warm bathrobe, a hand fan, and a ton of humor . . .

Nikksan replied to kbs2003's response:
I'm 42 and suffer from cold spells. Sometimes they last 30 mins, sometimes they last for hours. My husband can always tell I'm having one when he comes in and finds me sitting in the 72 degree house wearing 2 shirts, a hoodie, 2 pairs of fluffy socks, long underwear and flannel pj bottoms on. I have had my thyroid checked and came back normal. I've been going thru this for 4 yrs now. My only relief is too take a scalding hot shower for 15-20 mins, which doesn't work when you are away from home. For the last few years my female dr has dismissed 'menopause' because she says I'm 'too young to be going thru it'. So don't think you are alone, gals!

KristiDagz responded:
All my life I've always been hot when others are cold. Suddenly, I just can't get warm. I mentioned it to my girlfriend, who is perimenopausal, and she said some people experience "cold flashes." I found this odd, so I googled it - and ended up here. I'm so glad to find it's normal! My trouble is that I live in Hawaii and own 1 blazer and no sweaters - not even a long sleeved shirt does it for me! Yesterday I went to work with a cami, long sleeved shirt, scarf and jeans. And for some of the day I was STILL cold! In Hawaii! Sigh.

Roc60 responded:
Hi girls! I experienced one yesterday and because I am also experiencing some stomach issues I thought it was a fever. And now again, I am going through one cold flash which has lasted for about 2 hours at least... didn't know they could happen alone, I thought it was only as a result/rebound of a hot flash, as those were the ones I had experienced... I hope it ends ups soon, hopefully I will warm up in bed. Anyway, it is good to hear that it is "normal", just another menopause perk > In case it helps someone, I haven't had a period almost in a year, so I think I am oficially getting into the menopause state... this must be the welcome!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website