Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Constant light bleeding - HELP
gailbarnhart posted:
I have no doubt I am in perimenopause all the symptoms are there hot/cold flashes, night sweats, lack of concentration, depression, mood swings, dryness, decreased sex drive....BUT now I am experiencing a new symptom and want to know if anyone else has had or is having this same problem. For a while now, I have had light spotting after sexual intercourse with my husband and light pink blood/discharge after urinating. It's not in my urine only on the toilet paper. Everytime I go to the bathroom and I wipe the toilet paper is pink. It's like having my period always. I'm 47 and wonder if this is a sign that I might be at the end of the period cycle. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gail

Ginger65787 responded:
I have the same problem. I had my period about a week ago and have had the same pink in tissue when wiping, not in the urine, and sometimes even need to wear a pantiliner or pad. Please let me know if you have received any info to tell us that this is perimenopause symtom and what we should do about it if anything.

Thanks, Debbie

undermilkyway2nite responded:
I too have experienced these symptoms. I am 49 years old and have had all the "goodies" that are associated with perimenopause but most recently increased sex drive. As a result of having sex more frequently than usual, I too have had constant bleeding, light pink blood/discharge after urinating. It's not in my urine only on the toilet paper. Every time I go to the bathroom and I wipe the toilet paper is pink.

So far, in this string of comments, I've not seen any "professional" opinion as to whether this is normal or not.

Any medical person who can answer as to whether this is "normal" symptom of perimenopause would certainly help me and others to feel more at ease about this.

PLEASE HELP!!!

diverwoman responded:
I had that once and it was a urinary tract infection. I should have tried a tampon first and seen where the blood was coming from. An antibiotic, for a week cured me. I couldn't see any blood in my urine either, just on the toilet paper and on a light days pad, every day. You could have a urine test, just to be sure. I hope you check it out. Rose

gailbarnhart responded:
Well ladies I believe it was the beginning of the end for me. It was not a urinary tract infection. the bleeding lasted about a week longer and stopped. I have not had my period in 4 months.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Gail,

Thanks for the update! How are you feeling now? Any other symptoms or is it smooth sailing so far?

Yours in health,

Byroney

ItalianMama58 responded:
Hey Gail...

Haven't been on here in a while, but your post caught my attention...right after I turned 49, I started experiencing the light spotting/bleeding just as you described...after 4 weeks of it and thinking I was dying, I decided to seek out a female doctor. She was about my same age and assured me this was "normal"...lol I immediately took the hormone test (using saliva) and my progesterone levels were pretty much non-existant. She had me take two rounds of Prometrium and my problem went away...well, for two years...now it's started up again and I'm thinking about going back to her. She had told me that this could go on for awhile...we can have the spotting...then a somewhat normal period...sometimes skipping 2 months...and then back again. No matter how much I know or read though, it still scares me to death...then I'm nervous, stressed out and emotional...just wanting it all to end...I've also had a low thyroid for some time now...I'm told this can cause the light bleeding as well...so I've started back on my thyroid meds again.

If this bleeding is as bothersome to you as it is to me, I would suggest finding a good female ob/gyn or nurse practitioner...they are a lot more sympathetic than the men...and if you haven't done so yet, check your hormone levels. I remember being so surprised that out of balance hormones can cause so much damage!

Hope this helps!

ItalianMama58

Grolet responded:
I was so happy to see this post. I don't have anyone to talk to about Menopause. I've been having light bleeding and cramping for 14 days now and counting and was really worried. I emailed my Dr and told her my symptoms and she said make an appointment and we'll talk. No worries she says. But still I felt very stressed and nervous about it until I found this message board and then this post. I feel better about it now. I'm glad to get a chance to hear other's experiences with this. Thank you for putting this post up.

wizkidmom responded:
Omg im so relieved there are others that r going through the same thing as I I was worried it was cancer you know where our heads go I've been having these weird non bleeding pink discharge too every time I wipe and I constantly have to wear languages .sometimes it's real heavy sometimes not good to know there are others out there

wizkidmom replied to wizkidmom's response:
I meant wearing panty shields lol this darn things always correcting and putting the wrong thing I feel better

An_254411 replied to undermilkyway2nite's response:
I have this going on as well! I am 48 and have always had irregular periods and since last year I have only had "Pink on the toilet paper" periods that would last about 5 days and then go away. Well for the past 3 weeks, I have the same thing, Pink on the paper and no enough to even wear a pad, when I wipe it's pink, and then sometimes it's nothing at all for about 3 days and then it starts back up again. I am a worry wart about the "c" word and I made an appt to see a new gyn, since mine moved away a few months ago. I am going to see her the end of this month, but I have to say that reading all these posts about others having it too right down to the same complaints, does make me some what at ease. I have some depression, and I sometimes even feel like i am sitting on a heating pad! It's really weird! I dont plan to have any children at this age so I would love it if this just all would go away but I am told that it does take years LOL great! what fun!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to An_254411's response:
Dear An_254411,
I am very glad that you will be checking in with a gynecologist, just to make sure that things in the uterus are all OK. But I am glad you have been reassured that these types of symptoms are quite common in perimenopause. when you see your new health care provider, do ask her about the possibility of trying a low dose oral contraceptive, if you are indeed a good candidate (non smoker, basically in good health)-because those often do help regulate bleeding and control symptoms.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website