Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
New Menopause Medication ???
TexasRed40 posted:
I have heard about a new Menopause medication it is touting itself as "The Menopause Solution" the name of the stuff sounds like AMBERIN - or AMBERLIN - but neither of those is correct - I heard the Advertisement on XM Radio and have been trying to reach them for information for over a week and leaving messages - has anyone heard about this ?? I have gained 60 pounds since my historectomy two years ago and I am miserable - am taking Metformin for an Insulin inbalance and they say my pituitary is out of balance - I have the hot flashed and then go to freezing - anyway any information would be greatly appreciated

Okiehealth responded:
I was put back on the low dose BC pills BECAUSE I had bleeding for 4 weeks. If it were not for that, I would have NEVER stopped the Amberen.

hatemenopause responded:
Thanks I think I will try it, I will do anything to get a whole nites sleep. Can't remember when that was. Will let you know how it works. vicky

Okiehealth responded:
Ok good, thanks, because I am really bummed I had to get off of it.

I am thinking the reason i had such a long period was because I had been on the steroids for allergies which kept me from ovulating and having a period for 3 months . They say that makes the endometrium build up and keep building.. maybe it was just trying to get that all out of there.. but it went on for so long and got so heavy, I had to do something to stop it. OTHERWISE I was feeling WONDERFUL. I was on Amberen a little over 3 weeks.

By the way, for those of you who are wondering about them being on the up and up. MY experience was totally good with them. They did what they said they would do, I got responses to my e-mail questions AND I got a PROMPT refund when I sent back the 2 unused packs. But I bought it directly from Amberenonline.. 99.00 3 month deal. You MUST return 2 unused boxes though before the 30 days are up from ORDER DATE. I kept it on the calendar and kept the original box they mailed it in just in case. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, sending that back, that's how much it helped me, but I could not take that AND the BC pills..

So yes, please let me know how you do and all the details. I am hoping what happened with me was just a fluke.

Let's keep the testing going.

dinunez42 responded:
I am reading all of this info about AMBEREN.....but has anyone tried anything else? Like ESTROVEN, or others?? And has anyone experienced thinning of the hair as one of the symptoms of perimenopause?

Peruhorselover responded:
Hi,

I just joined this list and I, too, heard the ad for Amberin on the radio. I'm now 60. I went into menopause at age 50. I haven't slept through the night in the last 10 years; I wake-up exhausted. The hot flashes and night sweats are just taking their toll on me. I have no sex drive, I have mood swings, and I went from 102 lbs. to 165...I'm only 5'3". Even though I ride my horses almost everyday, I may have to add more exercise to my routine to get this weight off. You would think that after 10 years of hot flashes and night sweats, they would start to dissipate by now, but they haven't. I just can't stand it anymore.

I don't want to go the HRT route because my Mom did it (Premarin), and was diagnosed with cancer, and she passed away 11 yrs. ago. I tried the bio-identical hormones, and they worked somewhat, but, they are expensive.

I wanted more info about Amberin, so I Googled it, and found this chat list. I didn't realize Amberin brings-on periods. I don't know if I want to start having them again. I had very painful ones when I was menstruating.

Can you tell me, are they full-blown periods or light ones? I haven't ordered Amberin, yet, I wanted to gather more info on it but now, I'm hesitant to have periods again at age 60.

Thanks!

Hi Tresa....

Forgive my ignorance, but what are BC pills?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Peruhorselover,

If you are in menopause, your periods should not "restart." Bleeding once your period has been gone for over a year is always something to get checked out by your doctor.

"BC" usually stands for "Birth Control" and is often meant to indicate birth control pills.

Hope that helps,

Byroney

OK...I called Lunada Biomedical, the lab that makes Amberen. What I was impressed with is the fact that when I called, someone answered immediately, asked me how they can direct my call, and I was promptly transferred to the Product Manager, who, in turn picked-up on the first ring. He was extremely helpful, very patient, sympathetic, asked me alot of questions, and he answered a bunch of mine.

I asked him about my hesitancy to have periods again at age 60, if I use Amberen. He asked me when I had my last cycle, and I told him it was 10 years ago. He said the chances of my body having periods again is pretty slim-to-none, since I am no longer in peri-menopause; I'm post-menopausal. He then explained to me that the purpose of Amberen is to kick-start the body to regulate and re-balance its hormones, and once the body can do it on its own, then Amberen will no longer be needed. The reason for the 90 days on, and 90 days off, is to see if the body can regulate on its own after the first 90-day cycle. If, after stopping Amberen after the first 90-days, the body shows menopausal symptoms again, then you can go on it for another 90 days, then off again, until your body can regulate the hormones on its own. According to him, and their site, most women don't need more than 3 or 4 90-day cycles of Amberen. He said the goal is to finally come-off Amberen permanently. He also said that I will receive a chart and I should keep a diary as to how I am feeling, once I start using Amberen.

He also told me that if I have any problems, to call their Customer Care line, where they have nurses on-call to answer questions and help with any problems.

In addition, he said that all of the natural compounds used in Amberen are amino acids and minerals; are FDA-approved and are also GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe). I'm a retired Flavor Chemist and I am very familiar with the term, and dealing with the FDA.

Soooo, I ordered the 90-day trial. If, after 30 days I don't see any results, I can return the remaining 60-day supply for a refund.

I am anxiously awaiting my order to arrive. I ordered it this morning, and I got an email stating that the order has already been shipped.

I am crossing my fingers (and praying) that Amberen will work for me. I'll keep you posted as to how I do.

DUH!!!! Of course! Birth Contro!!!! See? Menopause has killed my brain cells. Soon, I'll have to wear a name tag with my address on it!

Thanks, Byroney!

Yes, Byroney...you're right. I found that out this morning, when I called Lunada Biomedical, the people that make Amberen. I was very relieved to hear it.

I posted my conversation with their Product Manager, in an earlier post.

Thanks! PHL

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Peruhorselover,

Thanks for relaying the conversation you had. I hope it works for you.

Glad I was able to help,

Byroney

Hi Byroney...

I received my 90-day supply of Amberen this morning. Very fast delivery! I took my first dose (One orange pill and one white) this morning. I'll keep you posted each week, if I can. Right now, we're battling wildfires here in CA, and the town next to our is burning. My horse rig is ready to go if we have to evacuate. So, I'll have to post messages when I can.

Thanks, Phl

Autim responded:
I just ordered Amberen and hoping for a solution. I have been going through this for 2 years and it seems to be getting worse. How long does one have to take Amberen? Or do you have to take this until the symptons goes away?

Okiehealth responded:
Birth control. Low dose. They use those for peri meno people to get the periods back spaced out, slow uncontrollable bleeding etc.

Okiehealth responded:
Yes my hair was falling out REAL bad. While on Amberen, that stopped.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website