Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hot flashes & fainting
WadsworthLongfellow posted:
My hot flashes have gotten to the point where I have been so hot, woozy & dizzy - that I have actually passed out. I went to my PCP - he thought that I fainted because I was standing for too long. (I had been waiting for a bus) I am sure that is not the reason - I made sure I moved around, walking a few steps, bending my legs, leaning against a wall - just in general not standing still. Luckily I dropped everything in my hands first - so people around me - then turned to ask if I was OK. Then as I started to go down, the man behind me caught me, so I never really hit the ground. There have been other hot flashes where I have felt very light headed & dizzy - I've made sure I have sat down. Did not want a repeat performance :sillygrin: . Anyone else w/ hot flashes & dizziness/light headedness or fainting? Thanks for any input!

hobgirl responded:
Yes, I have had the same thing happen to me. One time we were in a restaruant and had just finished dinner and I had a bad hot flash, then felt sick to my stomach and I thought that I was going to pass out, I had to get my daughther to drive us home because I felt so bad that I was afraid to. The second time this happened was this past Friday, I was in WalMart doing a little bit of shopping, the store was not hot nor was it crowded, but I had a hot flash and thought that I was going to pass out. When I finally got to my car, I turned the AC on high and had it blowing right at me and I had to just sit there for awhile. I had other errands to run but was afraid to try and do them so I went on home. I have my yearly next month and that is one of the things that I plan on asking my doctor about. I am afraid that this is going to happen sometime and I am going to really pass out. At least I now know that I am not crazy.

rubberducky2132 responded:
Hello, I had a little bit of dizzyness and had bad headaches. The biggest thing I found was changing my diet and excersizing a lot more. That seemed to really help out a lot. here is some information on dieting etc.. www.hotflashcream.com/staying_cool

mjgough responded:
I fainted on Wed night, Dec 23rd, in my kitchen after experiencing an instant hot flash, very light headed and extremely dizzy. I hit my head on the tile floor as I fell, busted my head open. My husband took me to the emergency room; they stapled the wound. My EKG did show some irregularities in the heart, so had to stay overnight for other tests. They did a cat-scan and electro-cardiogram. I was released to go home (thankfully) on Dec 24th to spend Christmas with family, but I have to follow-up. This may be menopause related, don't know. I am 47. This is the 3rd episode I have experienced. The first two times with the same symptoms but no fainting. Very scary.

albuquerky responded:
When I began menopause at 51 I had severe hot flashes to where my clothes were soaked, my hair strung down my face and my shoes sloshed with sweat. This was a big problem because it happened at work and disrupted conferences and even phone calls. I would hear bells, get confused or have a panic attack, everything sounded far away, and then often, I passed out. Boy, was I shocked. I was a very healthy active women who had easy natural childbirth and accepted menopause as a normal natural part of life. The doctor ruled out heart problems, then , at my request, prescribed hormone therapy...what a blessing. Several times over the years I have tried to wean myself off. The hot flashes come back but the confusion is the worst part. I don't pass out but I can't think straight and it is very uncomfortable to sweat so heavily, especially in a social setting. The last time I stopped hormone therapy I began to get successive vaginitis episodes. The GYN I saw diagnosed it as senile vaginitis and rescribed low doses of enjuvia and prometrium. Now my insurance company is refusing to furnish the enjuvia. I am willing to try anything else since I am now 69 years old. I am sick of the whole thing but we are still sexually active and I dread getting the symptoms again. I wish I had chosen parents with better genes-ha, ha.

chocolategirl55 responded:
I can definitely relate to you all.Especially hobgirl.I have had to stop going to the gym because half way thru aerobics I would get light headed and palpiataions and feel like passing out. Had to go sit in the car with AC on for about 15-20 minutes to recover before going home. Saw the Cardiologist and all test came back normal.Had a hysterectomy at age 42.No HRT until last July.The patch.I am going to wean off of it due to cancer risk and try Amberen and see if that helps naturally.I took the first dose today. Will keep you all informed. :confused:

Canyonmaid responded:
Yes!! I just finished two and a half days of on and off woozieness. I charted it one day and the episodes came about every half hour.

This is so awful to have to live with. I'm so worried all the time - if I'm going to stay conscious!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website