Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
PERIMENOPAUSE??? Going crazy????
demello2008 posted:
I don't know where to turn or what to do. I am a 45 year old female and have been told by my Gyno that i am in perimenopause. My cycles have been ify for a few months meaning I got 2 in July, 5 days early in August, on time in September and 1 day early in October. They are kind of heavier than normal. I have a bunch of other symptoms that have been going on for about a year and a half getting worse everyday that goes by. I have weight gain, mood swings that are swinging closer and closer to my poor hubbys head LOL, dry eyes, anxiety, palpitations, in the morning when i wake I have an inner body vibration almost like I am late for something and I am not, hot flashes, burning redness in face, jittery, hair loss, hair growth on chin, night sweats, low blood sugar, headaches, feeling of "doom", fuzzy thinking, alot of tention in my neck and shoulder area, memory issues and the list goes on. It's a nightmare and it has me at the point where I think I am going crazy. I don't know what to do because my gyno(who is not very sympathetic) refuses to put me on any HRT because I am a smoker (half pack a day). Tell me I am not the only smoker in the world that needs HRT? I wanna believe that there is something in a cream, or gel, or even bio-identical hormone replacement therapy that I can do for relief. I was wondering about supplements. I just don't know where to go for relief. I have an appointment at a Natural Doctor in a few days but don't know if I am wasting time and out of pocket $$. I don't know if I should find another Gyno who is willing to work with me alot more......Can anybody advise me as to where to turn? I have also had my pcp suggest Toprol ( beta blocker) for the heart palpitations but don't know of what help that would be...Any help and suggestions would be great!!! TIA Michelle

sweetjd responded:
I'M 43 ALSO GOING THRU PERIMENOPAUSE. I HAVE MANY OF YOUR SYMPTOMS. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO DO. I WAS PRESCRIBED ZOLOFT FOR IT. I'VE ONLY BEEN TAKING IT FOR TWO WEEKS. IT HASN'T TAKEN MY SYMPTOMS AWAY.

I THINK YOU SHOULD SEE ANOTHER GYN DOCTOR. THERE MUST BE A MEDICATION THAT YOU COULD TAKE EVEN IF YOU SMOKE. THIS IS CRAZY.

I ALSO FEEL OVERWHELM WITH MY SITUATION.

HOPE THAT U COULD FIND THE RIGHT DOCTOR THAT COULD HELP YOU.

chichimamafla responded:
I smoke, too, and my doc wouldn't put me on low-dose HRT. Even though I know other smokers who are on it. Have you tried Paxil? My doc put me on that. It didn't help me, but it might help you. Also, it seems Amberen is helping the ladies here. I'm going to give it a try when I get the money. I do think you should find another GYN if you can.

In the meantime, eating healthy and exercise may help. If you're like me with my peri symptoms, exercise is the last thing on your mind. But I force myself to take my dog on 45 minute walks every day. It does seem to help my mood swings.

Hosch responded:
Perimenopause/menopause is not easy for some of us. I have many of your symptoms. One inparticular caught my attention and that was what you described as "inner body vibration." I have the inner body vibrations although I describe them as tremors. I don't see my body shake, nor does anyone else see me shake but the sensation is so strong it feels like a "shaking inside." Its worse after I lay down or get still to just rest. Sleep is largely affected and I never get a restful sleep. I saw a neurologist who dx me with restless leg. I started requip which helps but does not completely stop this feeling. Prior to requip, I thought I would have to go on disability. These symptoms started when I became perimenopausal and I believe they are all connected. There are so many symptoms involved with menopause its been difficult to target which to focus on. I wish you success in working with your doctors in figuring out how to feel better. Everybodys body is different. FYI. I choose the route of bioidentical hormone replacement. I've not gotten complete symptom relief but so far, its offered me the most. I'm always open to other solutions.

lkp728 responded:
Don't feel bad I am going crazy too. I just started this mess about one month ago and I really didnt know what was going on and to be honest I still dont. I have to call the dr. tomorrow. I am going to a Gyno. I really hope that he can help me................................

nanaleelee responded:
I can relate to all these stories! I have started having some of these symptoms about a year ago,I would wake up in the night with my hair and chest wet from sweating! My poor husband almost froze this summer cause I kept turning up the air at night! My cramps got so awful at times that I felt like someone punched me in the stomach! I went to my OBGYN and he suggested that I get an IUD to help resolve some of the cramps. It didn't work for me. I had it taken out after a few months.

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi demello, In your post you've said that your gynecologist won't put you on HRT or hormone replacement therapy because you are a half a pack a day smoker. So you do know what to do if you want HRT, you must quit smoking! target=_blank>HRT Is Linked to Deaths From Lung Cancer -- Study Shows Hormone Replacement Therapy May Increase Risk of Lung Cancer DeathsWe do have a Smoking Cessation Support Group board for help in quitting smoking. You have to weigh the benefit that you are getting from smoking with the minuses from experiencing a difficult perimenopause. Is smoking really worth it to you when you are feeling this badly? - Annie

demello2008 responded:
Hi Everyone, I too have a zillion million symptoms with this awful joke that mother nature has played on us. It is a nightmare I cannot wake up from. I struggle to feel better everday...It has gotten out of my control because I am no longer in control of my symptoms at all. I did try a Natural Doctor for relief but ran into MAJOR MAJOR issues with the meds the ND gave to me. One thing I did find out is that an ND does not treat you if you have any issues at all with how they are treating you. You have to seek medical attention from a Hospital or your very own PCP. The ND gave me some Progestrone pellets and I was to put 2 pellets under my tongue and let dissolve in the morning and at bedtime. The ND also gave me Adrenal support drops she mixed up to put 10 under my tongue in the morning and at bedtime. I did this for 2 days. WELL WELL WELL...I woke the 3rd day with my heart pounding out of my chest so badly and fast fast fast. I had like a tightness in my throat with a wheezing sound when I would breathe in. I remembered that the ND said if any emergencies arise seek medical attention from your PCP or an ER. Didn't feel good about that statement but being desprate, I agreed. My PCP was pissed off to the max and let me know it. I was allergic to the meds. My PCP also said that the ND should of never ever given me Adrenal support drops because those are loaded with Ginko Biloba which anybody with anxiety or heart palpitations from perimenopause should never ever take because it will magnify the symptoms we already have. Another thing my PCP was very angery about is that the ND's don't do labs 90% of the times. My ND did not. My PCP also said the way the ND gave me the Progestrone to take under my tongue and dissolve it was a very dangerous way to ever administer the Progestrone. It goes directly into your blood stream at a very rapid pase. DANGEROUS! My PCP said that's like the aquivelent of shooting it up. It was a miserable feeling and experience that was so not for me. You never know if you are going to be allergic to any of the herbs or hormones they give to you. I personally had a negative experience with a Natural Doctor. I ended up having to take some Ativan to slow my heart down. I am now heading back to my PCP and finding a new Gyno to see what else I can do for relief. There has got to be something else I can do. I will keep pushing through and pushing doctors around until I GET RELIEF....I am serious!! I am not giving up or backing down. I do know that I smoke, but I am and have cut down so very much. I cannot add the anxiety and withdrawal of quitting to the horrific symptoms I have from perimenopause. I will survive this somehow. I will keep trying everything. I will not let it make me crazy..although I think I may be already LOL LMAO!! I am going to see about an anti-depressant that is ONLY used the first 10-14 days BEFORE my period and then you stop it the first day of your bleeding. I think it is a Prozac relative. I want each and everyone of you women that are suffering greatly along with me...to know that you are in my prayers for relief from this joke that was played on us so viciosly. I wish you all the best and if you here of anything NEW please, let me know. I as well will let you know of anything NEW or DANGEROUS that I do come across. Peace and Health.... Michelle

Squeakiesmommy responded:
I'm 43 ( 44 in January ) , and have been experiencing hot flashes alot lately. I haven't been to my Dr. since June to talk to her about them. My period lately has been changing. It comes later and later each month, and I get bad cramps but fairly light bleeding that lasts 10 to 12 days. I get that inner body vibration too. And lately my husband and I have been having marital problems, which doesn't help the depressed feelings. The hot flashes for me start in my lower back area and quickly move up my back to my head and face, I get sweaty and flushed for 5 to 10 minutes probably 2-4 times an hour. The smallest and dumbest things can get me crying. The past week I haven't much of an appetite because of my husbands " emotional " affair with another woman, its been tearing me up. So right now I am a total mess.

doubletoothpick responded:
my periomenopause started at 46 and i am almost 48 now. it is better with anti depressants and estroven OTC supplements. it took a while to get under control but i started paying more attention to my body's reaction to alcohol and caffeine and have seen a difference when i moderate both. the night sweats get worse right before my period and i know to increase my meds. my GYN has been great. don't forget it takes almost two months for drugs/supplements to get into your system and help. my hubby thought my head was spinning around on my head prior to me taking any action. ESTROVEN two tabs each am and ESTROVEN PM, one at night- will help a lot. good luck.

alohafrancine responded:
I am going a little coo coo too. I am reading up on on the symptoms & I found a website called women to women & they are very helpful to me. They offer a natural supplements that I just ordered according to how far I am in to this Menopause. You oughta check it out because they will talk to you live after you leave them a message. Hope they can help you too Cause I totally understand where you are coming from. It's very irritating not knowing what's going on within & husbands needs to understand too. Mine is 8 years younger & he is so loving & understanding. Be open with them is what I have found. Let me know how you do. You will need to do a prfile on your self to let them know what supplements you would need. Somtimes it's hard for me to know if I am having hot flashes in Kona cause it's super hot there. I do live on Maui. Aloha & Good Luck.

shygal44 responded:
Hello - I can totally relate to all your stories/symptoms-of menopause . I just saw my MD & he said to try a natural supplement called BLACK COHOSH - spose to help the hot flashes & other symptoms - type it in search box here also - just bought some to try it , They sell it at walmart 4 bucks for 100 capsules - good luck!!!

Peggylohmann responded:
Hi. Wow! Sounds like you are really going through something.

Check out this website, www.drinkgem.com -- it's for a new, ready-to-drink wellness supplement that actually tastes good and has ingredients that have individually been clinically proven to be effective for minimizing many of the symptoms you describe.

Marie Osmond, the entertainer, is the spokesperson and she would never endorse a product unless she totally believed in it and used it herself.

If you want to see the ingredients, got to www.drinkgem.com/ingredient_panel. Also check out the testimonials...

Good luck!

Peggy Lohmann

Dixie_1 responded:
I'm a smoker here also Michelle, but I'm tryin to quit, I laid them down a few weeks ago for about a week I was so proud, then I ran out of my nerve pills grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, needless to say I'm back to smoking, but soon I will lay them down for good.....................Dixie

Bioswork responded:
I am sorry you feel that way. I suffered through debilitating symptoms during the last 6 years of perimenopause. I am now very close to menopause but I am still having my periods. I went on bioidenticals in January and most of the horrible symptoms have been alleviated. I would not allow a Doctor to give me anti depressants to "get through'" something that is so horrible and does not get better with them just makes you numb, gain weight and not enjoy your life,

My choice was bios and I love them and will continue until I feel that I can handle the symptoms. Right now they help me to get through. I no longer have hot flashes etc etc.

Antidepressants do not take the symptoms away but BIOS DO!!!

Good luck and I feel for you...its not fun at all

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website