Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Perimenopause at 30?
carinabck posted:
Hello all, I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this, or has heard of this happening so young? My cycles were always very heavy and lasted 7 days, from the time I started them at 17 until 3 years ago when I had an ablation done. After the ablation my cycles still lasted 5-7 days but were much lighter, more like what women call a normal period. I had my tubes tied when I was 24 so I don't use birth control. My cycles have always been on a 28-30 day time frame, until July of this year. In July I had a normal period, then in August I skipped my cycle all together, and in September I had a couple of days of light spotting. In October I had a really heavy cycle and in November I had a normal cycle. In October I had a biopsy of my endriometrial lining showing no cancer, but that my lining was not the same age all the way around, which meant I had an estrogen imbalance. In addition I gained about twenty pounds from june to august and have experienced mood swings and hot flashes during my periods. I'm tired all the time and have been prescribed antidepressants. The Nurse Practitioner at my gynecologist's office said she thought I may be in perimenopause already and today I had a dietitian tell me the same thing. My thyroid has been tested, and my levels were on the high end of normal, but still normal. Could it really be perimenopause at 30?

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi carina,

I don't know but 30 sounds awfully early to be in perimenopause.

Since you mention that you are taking antidepressants you may want to look them up by clicking on the Find A Drug database to see if hot flashes, mood swings, or irritability are possible side effects of your medications. If so you may want to discuss your meds with your doctor if you need to have them adjusted or changed.

Good luck!

- Annie

pallzy responded:
It can happen. It's not the normal starting age, but everyone's body is different. I was 33 when I finally asked my gyno if what I was experiencing was perimenopause. A few tests comfirmed it. So, if I can start at 33, you could be starting at 30.

bethanycl responded:
Hello!

First of all, you need to have blood work done to determine your hormone levels. Our stories are very similar. At 25 I had my tubes tied, at 29 I had an ablation performed for the same reason, I did have a bout with cervical cancer at 30 (treated w/cryo freezing so no chemo or anything) but otherwise our stories are very similar, then at 32 I stopped having periods (May 2009). Back in November '09 they ran bloodwork and it was right on the line between perimenopause and menopause and wanted to rerun it in 2 months. So roughly a month ago they reran the bloodowork and sure enough, it's menopause.

As far as what you're feeling as far as moods and hot flashes. Normal. Sucks, but it's normal. I've been an emotional wreck and even as someone who's typically cool natured and gets cold easily, these hot flashes kick my butt at night.

If I were you, I'd have your nurse practitioner run bloodwork to determine what's going on and go from there. It is a relief to no longer have periods, but the reality of life post menopause in your early 30's isn't really enticing. The side affects of menopause come 20 years earlier. They put me on HRT and I hate it. I'm giving my body time to adjust to it (it's only been 3 weeks since I started on it, was prescribed Prempro) but if the side affects don't let up soon I'm going back to see what else can be done. It HAS helped with the night flashes! Just the other side affects (severe headaches, crashing fatigue, etc) just don't seem worth it.

Do some reading. At our age I think some sort of HRT is a good thing, but I'm not sure Prempro is for me. I'm thinking of asking for bioidentical hormones.

Good luck! It's not great, but it's our reality so what can you do?

Bethany

Shmirshky responded:
Dear Carinabck,

OMG...you are certainly going through a lot! Just so you know- you are not alone!

First of all, there is no set age that everyone goes through perimenopause and menopause (I call it PM&M for short!). Every woman is different.

I know this is all so complicated. There was a time when the only lining I was worried about was what was inside my blazer!

Does your gynecologist specialize in PM&M? This is so important. I found it helpful to interview a few doctors before I picked one.

Many, many women begin PM&M with the onset of a thyroid condition. It is often hard to differentiate a thyroid condition from PM&M as some of the symptoms are very similar. In addition, there is a great deal of discrepancy in the medical world about what the suggested ranges for TSH, T3, T4 should be. I would definitely consult an endocrinologist if your TSH is high. This could very well be why you are tired, have gained weight and been on an emotional roller coaster. Often times woman are put on antidepressants before all of the hormones and proper thyroid tests have been done and evaluated properly.

I am not a scientist or a doctor. I am an ordinary woman who had a really difficult and often depressing time with PM&M. I was not prepared. I struggled, but you don?t need to.

I am E, the author of a new book (coming our March 1) called Shmirshky: think inside the box. Shmirshky is what I call my vagina. The book is about PM&M.

There is a lot of information out there. I know it can be confusing and overwhelming. That is why I wrote this book and made it simple and easy to read. Think of it as your PM&M cliff notes! Many of the definitions, symptoms, tests and options are clearly spelled out so that the ordinary person can understand them. By the way, give this to the people that you love so that they will know what you are going through and be able to support you.

You can go to www.shmirshky.com and order a book today! Specifically, read about my thyroid experiences in Chapter Seven, ?Magic Hands.?

Hopefully, you will find Shmirshky to be an intimate read that?s informative, fun and full of love!

Please keep in touch with me at our communication headquarters, At Your Cervix! And remember: reaching out IN! Suffering in silence is OUT!

Hugs, E www.shmirshky.com

someonewhocares3 responded:
Tubal ligations oftentimes cause heavier periods. They also compromise the production of ovarian hormones due to the loss of blood flow from the ovaries. This can cause early menopause which may have an adverse effect on overall health.

Ablations can also negatively affect hormones which can hasten menopause since it disrupts the natural cycle.

(Our bodies when left intact will usually produce the right amount of hormones for our individual needs to keep us healthy.)

goody30 responded:
am 30 yrs old I have 2 kids im on birth control had my tubes tied almost 7 yrs ago but ive notice here lately that I am very emotional cry and get anger Easley is it possible that im trying to go through menopause also I have hot and cold flashes like crazy if u know plz reply

Anon_6061 replied to goody30's response:
There was a similar post here just the other day - http://forums.webmd.com/3/menopause-exchange/forum/2448/1#1. Any procedure that alters the normal functioning of the uterus, ovaries, and tubes can alter hormone production. As far as tubal sterilization, they've coined the term "post tubal ligation syndrome." Similar problems can result from ablation, hysterectomy, removal of an ovary or a tube(s).

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website