Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Menopause and cramping pain
juju50 posted:
Hi there, Just a quick question, I have finally skipped 3 months with no period, had some trouble with hot flashes for like 10 days about 3 weeks ago.

I have noticed for the past 3 days or so , that I have this dull cramping pain in my lower abdomen. It feels like you do before you might start a period, only the period never comes. Yesterday it was a litle more noticable, as i even got somewhat sharp pains shooting down on my sides going into my hips, but most of it is in the pelvic region. i am scheduled for an ultra sound next friday. I always remember my mom complaining that she felt like her ovaries were being pulled out of her. Even now after its been ages since she went through the change, she has discomfort down there, but he had a hysteroctomy a few years ago.

I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this dull cramping feeling low in there pelvic area.

God bless Juju

GraceEvan responded:
Pelvic pain is a common complaint. There're three women in my family currently in their menopause so I know My mum visited the gynecologist and was being questioned things like the severity of the pain and the relationship of the pain to menstruation. Then she tried reflexology and it seemed to help her abdominal cramps.

Chrylrx responded:
Hi, I also have been experiencing pain in the area of where I would think my ovaries are at. I am post menopausal and haven't had a period in 2 years, so I didn't think this was normal...but now I see that others have had the same "pains", so I guess maybe it is. Was your mother menopausal when she complained of "feeling like her ovaries were being pulled out"? Mine is more of a aching feeling. I made an appt. with the doctor today, but can't get in until next month. Thanks for posting and letting me know that others have experienced this sort of thing. It is never mentioned when you read about menopause and the symptoms. Blessings, Chryl

pressurecooker responded:
I also have the same feeling. I'm turning 42 this Dec., and my period stopped last January. Two months ago, i feel this weird feeling of 'ovulating' but with an absent period. Two years ago, i was seen by an ob/gyne and tested me for estrogen level test, and the result stated that my hormone level is still okay, meaning i am not into 'menopausal stage' yet. However, at that time, my period was like, i have it this month, nothing next month, then again, here it is.. etc., so all in a year, i have 6 menstruation period. and last Jan., it ended , i must say... Now this pain is happening... I have an appt tomorrow at an ob/gyne clinic and hopefully, nothing 'crazy' will be seen.. I'll keep my fingers crossed....

raremel responded:
I've been experiencing similar cramping. I haven't had a period in 2 months and am 51. Been getting some night sweats, but really the dull cramping feeling like I'm about to have a period has been persistant for weeks. I guess I'll make an appointment and get it checked out. I wish there was more on the internet about this symptom.

Screaminhighc responded:
Juju,

I am experiencing the same pains and sensations of which you wrote. I had not had a period for 8 months, and out of the blue started having unusual lower abdominal "pinching", along with a persistent back ache. After about a week and a half of these sensations, I had what I thought was a period. The pains subsided, but resumed pretty quickly and intensified and now 2 1/2 weeks later I am having what seems to be another period. Most of the cramping, pinching and pain seems to have subsided, but I did have an ultrasound a couple of days ago, because the sensations are different than what they were when I was perimenopausal, and I am concerned that something else is going on. The discomfort is mostly in the lower abdomin where the ovaries are located. I also have had an urgency to urinate that was oppressive, which is better at the moment, now that I am having what I think is a period. However, it's a great relief to read about your experience, as well as the other women who have responded. If this is "normal", then it sure is good to know that others are experiencing it as well.

Blessings to you! Robin

aim5419 responded:
I am 55 and post menopausal. I also have cramping. In the middle of November 09, I had what seemed to be a light period after not having one for a year and a half. The spotting was very light, but the cramping has not stopped! About a month ago I went to my gyn and told her of the cramping. She did an endo-biopsy (to rule out cancer), which turned out okay. Then she did an ultrasound. A "follicle" could be seen during the ultrasound, and the Dr. stated that I had no fibroids or unusual findings. She had no advice for me at that time. Next, I decided to have a colonoscopy done, because sometimes the cramping seems to put pressure on my rectal area. I can't sleep on my back, because the pressure is so great. At night the cramping sometimes wakes me up, as it never stops. The colonoscopy turned out okay, although I have diverticulitis, probably from constant constipation before my gall bladder was removed a few years ago. For the past 2 days the cramping has been so bad that all I can do is curl up in the fetal position on the couch with a blanket. This is no way to live. I don't know what the next step is, but there has to be a solution. It's difficult to go to work and function when I'm feeling this way.

lola375 responded:
I was wondering the same thing. I have skipped Dec & Jan periods. In early Jan I was having lower back pain that seemed similar to cramps. I am experiencing them again. I also want to know if cramping happens without a period? I haven't had any flashes, but tell myself that they are NOT going to be a part of my menopause!!

Lea925 responded:
I'm new here. I just skipped my first period. It's been 60 days since the first day of my last period. I was "due" January 10th and it's not Feb. 14th and nothing! BUT I've had the normal menstrual cramps that I'd get, although at one point they were fairly severe. That's around the time I would normally have started my period but ....nothing. I've been going through that for over a month but they haven't been as severe.

I saw my gynecologist last week and he said it looks like I'm moving from perimenopause into menopause but we won't know when I'll stop my periods until they go awhile. He took my hormone level but I haven't heard anything yet. He told me the cramps would eventually stop. I HOPE SO! They are for the birds! I've got them again. I just take acetomenophin and hope for the best.

I'm more tired and today my upper back hurts. I'm not sleeping well but part of that is stress. (My sister died, the guy that hit her motorcycle is having his traffic hearing soon) but that started before I knew about that.

Hope the fact that someone else is going through this helps! It's got to stop sometime! Lea

ElizabethFiona responded:
I am in menopause and have not had a period for two years. Then I started light bleeding and cramping pains in my lower abdomen. I must admit it worried me but after reading that I am not alone I dont feel so bad. I called my doctor who said that it is unusual for this to happen after two years and if it goes worse to call her again. I have just lost my health insurance so am hoping that it goes away. It was such a relief not to have had periods for two years, I am assuming that this is what this is.

netp13 responded:
Hi all...just reading all of these posts and making me feel alittle better. I am 48 years old and my period went away it will be 3 yrs this april. and I have been fine till December when I had light spotting...my doc did a ultra sound and said the endro lining is borderline for thickening..and they just like to keep an eye on it... and now here it is february and I feel crampy just like the old days when I had a period it is in lower abdomen and around both sides of pelvis too...at first I was so scared...thinking it was the BIg C....I have two teenagers and I think I am too young for cancer. I am going to make appt with doctor tomorrow...doctor must thing I am a paranoia already...but I am so afraid.

irshjck replied to netp13's response:
Hi everyone. I am 54 years old and believe I might finally be entering the menopause stage. I haven't had my period for 2 1/2 months, but have been going through the "perimenopausal" stage since I was 39 years old with symptoms of heavy bleeding. I made an appointment with the ob/gyn, but can't get in for an appointment until next month. I am experiencing dizziness, fuzzy thinking, cramping in the lower abdomen and around the pelvic region, backache and hot flashes for the past month. Recently, I have been able to minimize the hot flashes by cutting carbohydrates.

jroady responded:
I have been in perimenopause FOREVER! I've been lately experiencing cramping like I'm going to start my period all the time. Also I'm having bad leg cramps. I seem to be taking Advil all the time. I'm going to try accupuncture because I don't do well with other options. I'll let you know how it goes.

hopefulvi responded:
I am hitting 51 and this matter has got me going bizerks.... I have started bleeding everyday for seven weeks now,abdominal dull cramps off and on, but daily.
Blood clots are rediculous, back pain , headeaches, irritibility, cold flashes, breast tenderness as if at the beggining of a normal menstural cycle,I approximate at least six pads a day.unfortunately with my period does not stop and lets not forget the butt cheeks cramps and tiredness.

so I can relate and then some.

So I look forward to better times for all of us.
hopeful

hopefulvi responded:
juju this is hopefulvi i understand completely, and am wishing that this situation does not get worse. I am experencing confusion , dull cramping , headaches, bleeding on daily basis, about five pads a day withy heavy bleeding and clotting. I recently started going through lots of tiredness, cold flashes when everyone else is hot. This has been going on for seven weeks straight. Some say it could be endometriosis or some other condition that could require a hystorectomy. I intend to consult my obgyn before it get to far out of hand. Oh and now i have started some confusion, butt cramps and breast tenderness all the time.

what you think is going on , or do you think im getting parinoid?

hopefulvi

may god bless all of us going through this matter of the soul.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website