Includes Expert Content
Question for Dr. Gass
njw753 posted:
What is your stance on HRT and BHRT?

Thank you.
njw

THE NORTH AMERICAN MENOPAUSE SOCIETY
Margery Gass, MD, NCMP responded:
All estrogens will alleviate symptoms according to the dose used. NAMS supports the FDA and other scientific organizations that warn women about the potential harm from custom-compounded bioidentical hormones. These products have not been studied in a large group of women where benefits and side effects can be measured and reported to the public. Variation in strength from batch to batch has occurred. There is no evidence that bioidentical products are safer or more effective than FDA-approved products. All estrogens (except for conjugated estrogens which come from pregnant mares' urine) are made in a laboratory, even compounded estrogens. There are many tested and FDA-approved hormones that are bioidentical (meaning estrogens identical to those made by the ovaries).
For more information, go to the NAMS Web site.

njw753 replied to Margery Gass, MD, NCMP's response:
I have been using BHRT Pellets for 6 years. They DRASTICALLY changed my life for the better. I know about 100 women who also use the pellets and love them. We have been given back a quality of life that was missing due to menopause and/or taken away when ovaries were removed by hysterectomy.

I hope that this site remains impartial and open to discussions concerning ALL forms of delivery of HRT and BHRT therapies of estrogen and testosterone that women choose to use.

Thank you,
NJW

lastmate replied to Margery Gass, MD, NCMP's response:
I'm a 61 year old post-menopausal woman who recently began using subdermal bioidentical hormone pellets and am already seeing greatly improved energy level, better sleep and other benefits. It's my understanding that none of the FDA-approved hormone replacement products, bioidentical or not, include testosterone--which is a key contributor to the benefits that hormone pellet users boast of. A few doctors are apparently willing to prescribe reduced dosages of testosterone formulated for men (such as cutting the timed-release patches into smaller pieces) for women patients, but pellets seem so much more precise, and the doctors who offer them and compounding pharmacies who make them are highly attuned to individualized hormone balance issues. I agree with njw753 that this site should remain impartial and welcome input about menopausal issues and treatment options!.

JBuffum replied to Margery Gass, MD, NCMP's response:
My wife just had a hysterectomy and has been struggling with the imbalance it has given her. She has been suffering from hot flashes, vaginal dryness, and lack of sex drive. We have been to her obgyn and she keeps trying antidepressants to help her with her hormonal imbalance, hot flashes, etc. We asked her about bio identical implants and she said that my wife wouldn't be a good candidate because she suffered a pulmonary embolism from her surgery and they are worried that estrogen will induce another PE. I was hoping you could give us some insight or advice. Thank you. John

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website