Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Spotting in menopause
Rosannie posted:
I am 52 and have been in menopause (no period) for almost two years. Recently I have got more hot flashes and every three weeks or so I have had slight spotting for two cycles.
I have lost about 15 lb in the last three months and I wondered if this has somehow changed my hormone balance and "brought back" ultra-lite periods.
Does anyone have any experience with spotting after menopause and whether this is normal or what?
I guess I am still in perimenopause, then after all.

THE NORTH AMERICAN MENOPAUSE SOCIETY
Margery LS Gass, MD, NCMP responded:
Any spotting or bleeding after two years of no periods should be discussed with your clinician. It is important to be sure that there is nothing serious underlying the bleeding.

Pattinmark responded:
Well, count me in. Had that 2 times, the 2nd. time is now for maybe 2 weeks. The first time I thought I was dead meat. I was so scared. I will tell you my story it may help.
I had no period for maybe 5 years now. Suffered menopause systems for the entire time. Finally I convinced myself hrt was the way to go. And I was right!! Should have done it 5 years ago!!! I got to admit it saved my marriage and what family I had left.
Anyway a year ago i started spotting , i was terrified went to Dr. took a biopsy and blood work for cancer. All was fine.
Now it happened again. Did all the test again and no answer except sometimes it happens. So i guess i will count my blessings that nothing is wrong.

bhhatch0411 responded:
I am having a period after 4 years of none have panic attacks and over all feeling lousy. Feeling slightly crazy. Can anyone give me a hint.

bhhatch0411 replied to Margery LS Gass, MD, NCMP's response:
Hi,

I haven't had a period in 4 years about a month ago i started having panic attacks, i am under a lot of stress very demanding job I was given xanax .50 that has helped. But now I will get days that I just feel lousy. I am 52 and I have always had more energy than a twenty year old. I have been using the Climara Pro patch could this be causing some of my problems?

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Red Clover Blossoms
I have done research and have been using red clover blossom 2x daily(750 mg from most vitamin places). I no longer get get hot flashes. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website