Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
birth control and menopause
house4kids posted:
Hi, I was told that as long as I was on birth control - NuvaRing that I will not enter menopause. Is this correct? Do I need to stop the NuvaRing to see if I'm going to enter perimenopause? My mother and sister both had early menopause - early 40's - I am now 45 and although I don't want the horrors of menopause, I don't want to take birth control anymore and husband will not get snipped. HELP!

THE NORTH AMERICAN MENOPAUSE SOCIETY
Margery LS Gass, MD, NCMP responded:
Hormonal contraception like the Nuvaring, the Pill, and the Patch can camouflage menopause. Those forms of birth control can cause a woman to have a period forever. Meanwhile, your ovaries may have retired and gone into menopause status. It is often necessary for a woman to stop the contraception for several months to see if she is in menopause. During this time, it is important to use condoms, a diaphragm, or another form of birth control to prevent an undesired pregnancy. Typical advice during the menopause transition is to use barrier contraception until you have had one year of no periods. Then you can assume it is safe to stop all contraception.

house4kids replied to Margery LS Gass, MD, NCMP's response:
Thank you - I cut an pasted these 2 posts into Word - I will show it to him.

djscrs replied to Margery LS Gass, MD, NCMP's response:
Margery, I was put back on birth control to control my periods but do not need it for birth control. I am probably going into menapause. Is there something that can be done so I don't have the extremely heavy periods,( It was hard to work for at lest 2 days) with clotting (again alot) ? I was never told until recently that I would not continue in menapause if I was still on the pill. I do get hot flashes and night sweats now, but not too bad.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website