Skip to content
When & how to stop hormone therapy
THE NORTH AMERICAN MENOPAUSE SOCIETY
Cynthia A Stuenkel, MD, NCMP posted:
While we spend an awful lot of time discussing whether or not an individual woman should go on hormone therapy (HT), an equally challenging question for many women is when (and how) to stop. This issue deserves a conversation with your clinician to look at your specific situation and weigh the pros and cons for you. In general, The North American Menopause Society (NAMS) (www.menopause.org ) and most other medical groups advise women to take systemic HT at the lowest dose that relieves your symptoms (hot flashes and vaginal dryness) for the shortest amount of time. That "shortest amount of time" phrase, however, is somewhat vague and open to discussion. There are several important considerations about stopping therapy, such as prolonged use, lower doses, ways to stop, and follow-up tests, which I will post in the coming days.

Marla505 responded:
These are exactly the questions I have in mind! For the past few years I have been using subdermal bio-identical hormone pellets for menopause related issues. Recently I have found out that I have a tennis ball sized fibroid in my uterus. Of course my doctor is recommending a hysterectomy or embolization. Because I am not having related pain I wanted to wean off of the hormones and see if the fibroid reduces at all. I would rather not have surgery. I also take 200mg of Prometrium daily. I seem to be on my own regarding this weaning process. The pellet part is easy..I just have not gone for a refill. I have continued to take the Prometrium but have recieved no guidance on how to stop that. What would you suggest? Cold turkey? Cut back to every other day? Or what?
Thanks for bringing up this topic! Marla

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website