Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Final installment about stopping HT
THE NORTH AMERICAN MENOPAUSE SOCIETY
Cynthia A Stuenkel, MD, NCMP posted:
This is the last aspect in our discussion about stopping HT: once you and your clinician have decided that it's time to stop, what's the best approach? The simple answer is that we don't know. Formal studies to evaluate this question have failed to show that either going cold turkey or tapering off is better. So the choice is really yours. The important thing is to know that women in general have about a 50/50 chance of experiencing hot flashes again (although maybe not as severe as initially) after stopping. Some studies suggest that symptoms peak within 3 months after stopping hormones. After you stop, take some time to evaluate how you feel before beginning any new medication so you don't get the two effects confused.

There are a couple of other things to keep an eye on once you've stopped HT. If you develop vaginal dryness or recurrent urinary tract infections, ask your clinician about vaginal estrogens. Nonhormonal lubricants and moisturizers can also help with dryness. And, you might want to ask about a bone density test. We know that women who stop HT often lose bone. Depending on your bone density score and risk profile, you might be a candidate for an osteoporosis drug (bone-sparing). At any rate, discuss calcium and vitamin D supplements, weight-bearing exercise, and fall prevention with your clinician.

Another good idea is to have your cholesterol rechecked in about 3 months after stopping HT because hormones can affect "lipid levels" (both good and bad). And if you're taking a thyroid medication for an underactive thyroid, your dose might need to be adjusted.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website