Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
To the man in desperate need of help
THE NORTH AMERICAN MENOPAUSE SOCIETY
Cynthia A Stuenkel, MD, NCMP posted:
Hats off to you for seeking a way to help your girlfriend navigate a difficult time. Wise men reach out for understanding and advice as their partners move through the menopause transition. Your patience and support are so important.

In spite of all the literature, all the Web sites, and all the talk shows, the symptoms of menopause can sneak up on an unsuspecting woman and she might not fully grasp how extensively she is being affected. For some women, transitioning to menopause may not yet be on their radar. Hot flashes are certainly a major symptom, and hot flashes can interrupt sleep. Sleep deprivation and fluctuating hormones can take their toll on mood. And so the spiral begins.

A woman should confirm with her healthcare provider that her symptoms are being caused by the menopause transition. Other medical conditions can cause "spells," which can be confused with hot flashes; and there are other possible causes for emotional symptoms and mood swings. If a woman needs a referral to a healthcare provider specializing in menopause, visit The North American Menopause Society (NAMS) Web site to find a NAMS Certified Menopause Practitioner in your area.

Getting the correct information from the beginning is critical. Beware that Internet surfing for advice yields the good, the bad, and the ugly. Free, trusted information can always be found, however, on our NAMS Web site including books (Menopause Guidebook), an online magazine (Menopause Flashes), and a Menopause Glossary. There are also discussions of the many avenues available for symptom relief so women and their loved ones can be more comfortable during this transition and beyond. Check it out.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website