Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Menopause/bleeding~~I haven't had a period in a year.
cts1995 posted:
Then, 3 1/2 weeks ago, BAM!! It hit hard and heavy for a week and a half, then the last two weeks, some days I have spotting, other days, full on flow! Is this normal? I asked a few friends, and they haven't had this problem. Is this something I should go to the doctor for, or is this part of menopause? I'd appreciate feedback.
Thanks!!

jaxgirl1952 responded:
OK, first of all, I am no expert. There is also no expert on this site and I think the moderator looks way too young to be near menopause. There are other websites that are better but I will just tell you my experience.

I went 11 months with no period and then had one. The doctor said that happens to many women. Now I have been over a year and I have spotting (very small) about 3 times a year like my body still wants to have a period. I get migraines, cramping, bloating, the whole mess just like I used to with periods.

My FSH is normal but my estrogen is high. Last year it was 60 and this year 36 (it should be less than 27). I have a transvaginal ultarsound and this week I will have a biopsy but they think all of this is caused by the high estrogen. If the tests come back normal I will be put on progesterone to thin the lining. It sounds like your problem might be from fluctuating hormones but it is good to have everything checked from your doctor.

Karen

cts1995 replied to jaxgirl1952's response:
Thank you for your response. I guess I should just call my doctor and get checked out. I just wasn't sure if this was normal or not.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to jaxgirl1952's response:
Wow jaxgirl thanks for the compliment, I am actually in perimenopause, I have hot flashes and other symptoms. We have a great support group on WebMD with lots of information.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website