Includes Expert Content
Increased breast size after Menopause, not equal laterally
PattyVany posted:
I am 62 and 5 years into menopause. Over the past year, although I have not gained weight, my left breast has increased one cup size fatty tissue, but my right breast has stayed the same B cup. This is becoming a problem, since even with a formed cup bra, my shirts are pulling to the left side, which is heavier. I have fibrocystic brease tissue, have never had cancer and mammograms are fine. I did have an in-office aspiration of a soft lump in my rigfht breast about 35 years ago. Should I be concerned, or is it normal to have one breast grow larger after menopause?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Patty,
I'm not sure what to tell you.
It is actually quite common for breasts to get bigger after menopause-that's one of the strangest things I discovered when I started to practice gynecology (makes no sense, but it sure does happen.) It is a bit unusual to have this happen to just one breast-although it probably will turn out not to be anything worrisome. I would report it to your gyn or primary care doc. If you are already up to date on mammograms, you might want to consider an ultrasound. If an exam, an ultrasound and a mammogram reveal nothing suspicious, this may well prove to be one of those unusual events we often face in medicine.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

PattyVany replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Dear Dr. Minkin,
Thank you for your response. I have contacted my primary care doctor and have scheduled a mammogram this week after a two year hiatus. My doctor suggested after the mammogram to see a GYN, so I will ask for an ultrasound during my visit with her. Thank you so much for your help.
Sincerely,
Patty Vanyo

Twinb123 responded:
I'm 48 and experiencing the same issud PattyVany. I went through menopause as of Nov 2012 but noticed the "pulling to the left" as well. I'm very frustrated by this and was hoping that if I lost weight that "lefty" might shrink back down.

Hang in there!

buzzygrl responded:
Hi Patty,

I started menopause at 55. I am so glad to see I am not alone. I had my normal mammogram. They ask me to come back so they could check out the right breast again. It is like muscle tissue. It is bigger than the left breast every since I went into menopause a couple of years ago. I was freaked out and scared. I had up to three re visits. Nothing is wrong from the reports and they have me back on the regular exams. It seems like at least the female doctors should be aware of menopause and the breast issue.