Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Saw Palmetto for older women
questioninglady posted:
I read an article saying that saw palmetto was a good supplement for menopausal and post menopausal women as it helps with the female hormone balance. I am 11 years beyond my last cycle and it seems each year another problem presents itself -- dryness, indigestion, etc. Is saw palmetto a safe herb for women to take?
Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Questioning-
I'm not so sure I'd jump into saw palmetto at this point.
There are a couple of reports on its use to reduce prostate size in males (and even there, the literature isn't definitive)-but there is no definitive data on its use in women.
There are other over the counter remedies for several of the problems you list. If the problem of dryness is vaginal dryness, I'd go with something like Replens. For indigestion issues, you could start with something like Tums, or if you need something stronger, try the acid blocker medications (things like OTC prilosec, or prevacid, or tagamet).
But I'd tend to go with those, instead of trying the palmetto.
Hope you feel better soon,
Mary Jane
questioninglady replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you very much for your reply. I really do not like to take any drugs or supplements because there are so many unknowns even after years of study and use. I have found an antacid, Tritilac, which works better than Tums. So that is a positive. I will keep checking the community for further info.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website