Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Widening hips
Lupylisa44 posted:
I have been built like a boy my whole life and have been a size 1 since high school. Now I am 46, post menopausal. Since I started on HRT, my hips have spread dramatically. Could it be the hormones causing this? If so, which one? I am taking E2, E3, Progesterone and Testosterone.

Lupylisa

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Lupylisa,
There does seem to be a weight gain associated with menopause. Women tend to gain an average of 5-8 pounds in the perimenopausal time frame-that's the bad news. The good news is that it tends to be a one time thing-it's not 5-8 pounds every year. can you lose it? yes-with diet and exercise. Women who take estrogen tend to gain about one pound less than women who don't-so not a big factor, in general. Our basal metabolic rates do get slower as we get older (happens to guys, too.)-and again, increasing exercise tends to be the best remedy for speeding up the basal metabolic rate.
Even women who don't gain weight usually report a sort of "central deposition" of fat-around the middle-sort of a redistribution. I don't often hear a complaint about the hips. If it were related to hormones, I would probably think of estrogen as the more likely culprit-but I'm sure you're taking a very small amount.
So if you do want to experiment, and go off for a bit, you could-but I doubt that it will make a huge difference,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website