Includes Expert Content
Can HCG diet cause a period in a post menopausal woman?
An_205930 posted:
I am 54 and have not had a period for 14 months. I have been on the HCG diet for a month and just got off last Saturday. Monday I started spotting and by Tuesday morning seemed to be having a real period. I read that some cases of infertility are treated with HCG but could my experience be normal. I am a little bit worried right now although I did happily lose 10 pounds and lots of inches.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_131485,

Were you getting the HCG injections, or did you purchase the drops? Any changes in your body should be looked at by your PCP.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Anon_131485 and Lainey,
This is very interesting - I had not heard of a diet involving HCG-HCG is actually chemically related to LH (one of the components of the molecule is actually identical)-so somehow, I would suppose a surge of LH triggered something here! Very interesting!
Anyhow, I would still report this to your health care provider, because any bleeding that occurs after a year of no periods should be investigated-but somehow, I'll bet that this LH type compound had something to do with this-
Happy new year,
Mary Jane

TheBugger responded:
@Anon - I am 51 and have not had a period in many years. I went on the HCG drops in July for 6 weeks and lost 15 lbs. I just started it again on Jan 1st to take off a couple of holiday lbs. Three weeks in (2 days ago) I seem to be having a light period. Did you ever find out if the HCG was a cause. Just curious. I think I will contact my Dr in the morning. Thanks.

cwadeeya replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Hi Mary Jane,
I'm 54 yrs old and haven't had my period in a little over a year. Not having my period is the only symptom of menopause that I've experienced. Other than a scary LCIS diagnosis last year (biopsy, no mass and normal mammogram last month), I am completely healthy, fit and am trying the diet to lose 15 lbs.
I started Medirol homeopathic HCG drops yesterday. So, 3 doses (10 drops each dose). I've had 2 interested side effects. Increased bowel movements and this morning, I began to spot. Since the drops are the only change, they would seem to be the likely culprit. I'll call my OB/GYN in the morning and will abandon this diet. Guess the old "too good to be true" adage applies to me in this case.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to cwadeeya's response:
Dear Cwadeeya,
This HCG thing is amazing-as I wrote in a previous post, I had not heard of this diet-but clearly, the HCG must be acting in a manner similar to LH and stimulating the ovary unusually. Anyhow, I think your plan sounds good-stop the HCG and check in with your doctor-sounds like you have terrific health habits-so keep up the good work,
Mary Jane

Mariannebells replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Why would this seem odd to everyone. It is used to create pregnancy in women that are having periods. I would think a simple stopping of the drops or injections would stop the menstruation. It's a pregnancy hormone...wouldn't you all think that is a normal repsonse? Women have periods late in menopause which are sometimes not explained. Some docs recommend keeping the periods going to keep you younger.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to Mariannebells's response:
Dear Mariannebells,
I think the HCG can lead to irregular bleeding. Just wanted to clarify one thing: it's not the periods themselves that keep you "younger".-there would be a question that the estrogen one would give to keep the periods going would be the agent to keep skin moister, etc. But that's not an official indication for estrogen therapy.
Mary Jane

acladie replied to TheBugger's response:
The drops are definitely the culprit. After 5 months off the diet I decided to try again just to be sure and sure enough, after a few days the spotting returned. Not as bad this time but enough for me to say "forget this". The weight loss is great but not worth a period.

libbyswin replied to acladie's response:
Hi i know this is old, but i'm hoping for HELP! I was on hcg last month for 23 days. I started my cycle around the 28th of May (this would be 5 days after i stopped hcg) I still have reg periods, but do have PCOS and a few cysts on my ovaries that never cause issue. Anyway, my reg periods last about a week.

Well i'm not on day 19 of my period!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so frustrated. It was normal the first week, lightened a lot as if stopping, but never finished. I mean one pad a day was all i needed, but suddenly last week it got a little heavier, and yesterday full blown cycle again! I'm passing clots and everything (which is what i normally do) Anyway i have tried the ibuprophen, cinnamon thing to help slow it down or stop it(google that, lots say it helps, not me) I am at wits end. MD says hormones look ok, and pap was good (yuck) he said he'd put me on bc pills but that since of my age, and high blood pressure he really doesnt want me to..strokes run in my family. He says wait it out and possibly consider a hysto or ablation (a hysto wouldnt be horrible since my pcos is pretty funky)...

In the meantime i go on vacation to the beach in 5 days...i really want to know is there any over the counter remedies that might work, homeopathic somthing??? I was so worried that my period was going to be early or late and ruin my vacation, never occured to me to worry that it would start and never end, ruining my whole freaking life (not to mention my marriage if you know what i mean) my husband is very frustrated too!

Susiemomof4 replied to libbyswin's response:
I'm on day 18 of my period after round 2. After round 1, I had severe cramps and went to ob...told her about diet and she said it had nothing to do w the lining of my uterus measuring too thick. I had a d and c...doc said I could do hcg diet again. Having same symptoms and KNOW it's from the diet. Stopped drops, but ovaries still hurt and cramp and this time my period won't stop. Ugh! Buy,I did lose 22 lbs...lol. nit worth it. Craving chocolate and cheetos!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to Susiemomof4's response:
Dear Susiemomof 4,
I'd get a hold of some progesterone or progestin from you gynecologist; I doubt you'd need another D and C. But given the coincidence of these events, I"d hold off the HCG business; just give it the old diet and exercise routine; and a bit of progeserone to get you through the perimenopausal time frame.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

HealthyMom2Two replied to Susiemomof4's response:
I saw my doctor for the same reason. My period was so heavy that it was all I could do to keep from passing out while doing the hcg diet. I was told there is no real hcg in the drops because it is illegal and the very low calorie diet was actually the cause of the period problems. My doctor told me to stop doing the diet because it was dangerous. After a couple of months, my body returned to normal.

chancellor777 responded:
The worst thing you could do is worry. You will be alright, and although I'm not a "professional", I don't see any reason for you to be concerned. Your certainly not the only one although to be honest I don't know anyone else whose had the same experience. I run a weight loss clinic where we have a doctor who prescribes HCG to our patients to go along with their diet. In my experience; none of the women who were past menopause reported anything like that but then again they aren't all done with their treatment. Thank you and God bless you for taking the time to comment as I will be looking to see if this occurs with any of my patients. I think it's safe to say that your case is rare but I'm positive it's not the only case. Given the understanding of what HCG is, that kinda makes sense that it would do that. My only question is; does this mean you will go through menopause again? Surely you could undergo another treatment of HCG and another and so on but what would be the result? Would you altogether bypass menopause? I don't know where you live but if you really wanna loose some weight find a Physicians Weight Loss Center near you; they are all around the east cost. We gaurantee 2-5 pounds of weight loss per week and that's without HCG and regardless of age.

chancellor777 replied to TheBugger's response:
Hey, I see this was three years ago and I'm just wondering if it actually turned out to be you having a period again or not?