Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Includes Expert Content
Darkened Skin above my lip
Anon_228818 posted:
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I need to ask my doctor. I have an appointment tomorrow with my family doctor. Do I need to consult an OB/GYN. This darkened skin makes me look as though I have a mustache and I hate that it makes me feel less feminine and more unattractive. Is there a hormone medication that I could be taking? What would the side effects be if I were to take a hormone medication? If I don't understand hormone replacement medications how will I know which one would be the safest for me to take?
Is there another way to get rid of the darkened skin without taking hormones.
I haven't had a pap test or a mammogram in roughly ten years. I never had health insurance as I was growing up and in my adult life so proper medical attention was lacks
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful
Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Anon_228818,
I'm not sure what to advise; that type of skin pigmentation is not a classic menopause consequence-so I think it's a good idea to start with your primary care doc. I would also check in with your doc on inexpensive mammogram and pap screening options-many states do have these for uninsured women-and your health care provider may be able to suggest local sources. You can also check in with the local Planned Parenthood folks-they do a lot more than contraception-and they may be able to suggest some less costly options.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 45 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website