Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Darkened Skin above my lip
    Anon_228818 posted:
    What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I need to ask my doctor. I have an appointment tomorrow with my family doctor. Do I need to consult an OB/GYN. This darkened skin makes me look as though I have a mustache and I hate that it makes me feel less feminine and more unattractive. Is there a hormone medication that I could be taking? What would the side effects be if I were to take a hormone medication? If I don't understand hormone replacement medications how will I know which one would be the safest for me to take?
    Is there another way to get rid of the darkened skin without taking hormones.
    I haven't had a pap test or a mammogram in roughly ten years. I never had health insurance as I was growing up and in my adult life so proper medical attention was lacks
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 3 found this helpful
    Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
    Dear Anon_228818,
    I'm not sure what to advise; that type of skin pigmentation is not a classic menopause consequence-so I think it's a good idea to start with your primary care doc. I would also check in with your doc on inexpensive mammogram and pap screening options-many states do have these for uninsured women-and your health care provider may be able to suggest local sources. You can also check in with the local Planned Parenthood folks-they do a lot more than contraception-and they may be able to suggest some less costly options.
    Good luck,
    Mary Jane

    Featuring Experts

    Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

    Helpful Tips

    Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
    Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    33 of 47 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website