Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Rebuild aging muscle through weight training
An_254486 posted:
I am a 72-year-old man with very visible muscle loss in arms, shoulders and chest. In other words where there used to be reasonably firm muscle there is now mostly just flabby skin. When I was 50 I could do 20 pull-ups. Now I can barely manage one or two, although my body weight is almost unchanged. My question is this: at my age is it possible to rebuild muscle through weight training and exercise, or is such training largely a waste of time?

sluggo45692 responded:
As we get older, our bodies do slow down and weaken. Exercise is never a waste of time . Your not going to get the buff, body builder muscles of your youth. You will get stronger and feel better.
I watched my father go from a strong 60 years old to a shruken 74 year old. He worked hard every day of his life. He retired and quit doing anything. His physical therapist told him to get up and move. Not jog, body build, or swim 100 laps. Just walk and move around. For the last 5-6 years all he does is sit in a chair, watch tv, smoke and drink. He now uses a walker or cane.
Big warning: Get a physical before starting any excerise routine and talk to you doctor. Make sure your physically able to do what you want to do. No use trying to get fit if it kills you.
If you want to do 20 pull ups, work at it. If you want to run a marathon, work up to it. As long as your trying, your living.

Good Luck

somvadee replied to sluggo45692's response:
Thank you. I appreciate your thoughts. Actually from what I see around me I seem to be in better condition than a lot of men my age. I keep my weight down, bicycle 20 miles almost every day, and haven't smoked in 30 years, although I do like a drink now and then. I get a medical checkup a couple of times a year and have no serious health issues aside from a little joint pain now and then. For the past few months I've been doing some upper body work - light bench presses. curls, pull-ups etc. to try to fill in some of the flabby, empty skin on my upper arms. I have no illusions about regaining a 50-year-old body, but the exercises I'm doing don't seem to be having much effect and I was just wondering if there's something else I should be trying.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

sluggo45692 replied to somvadee's response:
Dang, you are active. Yes, you sound like your in better condition than a lot of men your age. Skin, I know, doesn't shrink back around the muscle like it did when we are younger. If you have noticed, large people who loss a lot of weight have a lot of loose sagging skin. Unless it's removed surgically, I think you stuck with a little flabby skin. Sorry, it's the best I can come up with.
Keep up the good work.
Good Luck

adisonadley replied to sluggo45692's response:
I will advice you to join gym as gyms are the perfect place to add muscles, lose weight and tone body. In gym the possibilities are endless as advanced quality of equipment available in gym helps you to workout on all body parts.

adelestephensonguy responded:
Hello! Ive heard HGH pills work since it help keep growth hormones at a certain level to keep you young and active. Ive learned that as we grow old, GH hormones decrease in number that is why we experience aging. Well, I believe aging is a normal process and we are all bound to that, but delaying the aging process through exercise and healthy lifestyle would make a better life.. Havent tried it yet, but Ive been reading a lot of info about it -
http://www.hgh-pills.biz/anti-ageing-articles/growth-hormone-and-its-many-health-benefits.html

Some tried HGH injection, even Hollywood stars do, but I think its dangerous since it is artificial. Ive read info that HGH pills are safer because they are natural, and still can get almost the same benefits. Im planning to try it for myself...

Helpful Tips

Yoga and Aging
I'm a female who has found that yoga really helps prevents the aches and pains as I age. My body feels very young and I am 51! More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.