Skip to content
Mystery condition
alexg1986 posted:
Hi I am a 26yr old sexually active male, and for the past 6 years I have had a condition in which I experience bouts of what I thought was cystitis at first.. My symptoms are a a tender/raw urethra, my bladder fills with ease, I leak urine after urinating, there's a feeling of pressure/irritation around my perineum which I can suppress with pressure from my hand. And pinching my penis also relieves it, When my bladder is full the symptoms somewhat subside,, I'm so confused I've had numerous UTI tests and they always come back negative, I've had a Cystoscopy and that showed nothing?? My diet in in order I don't drink alcohol. Please help

nohard responded:
Hi Have a read of this, its from the NHS in England.
Some people experience almost constant symptoms of cystitis, or recurring episodes, which do not respond to treatment with antibiotics. This is known as interstitial cystitis.

Interstitial cystitis

Interstitial cystitis causes recurring discomfort in the bladder and pelvic area. Like cystitis, it can cause an urgent and frequent need to urinate. Other symptoms, and the level of pain it causes, can vary from person to person.

Some people may find it more painful when their bladder is full, or more painful when they urinate.

Around 400,000 people in the UK have interstitial cystitis and over 90 per cent of people with interstitial cystitis are women. It is often diagnosed at around age 40.

It's not clear what causes interstitial cystitis. Researchers are investigating whether the condition is inherited, or if it is part of a more general condition that causes inflammation and, in some people, affects the bladder.

Treatment can include:

• medications, including painkillers and antidepressants
  • bladder distension — when the bladder is filled with water to increase its volume
  • bladder instillation — the bladder is filled with a solution that includes medication to reduce inflammation of the bladder walls
  • surgery, if other treatments haven't worked

Some GPs may use the term 'painful bladder syndrome' (PBS) to describe a condition that causes pain but doesn't meet the criteria to be diagnosed as interstitial cystitis.
Hope it helps.

Helpful Tips

after 50
GIVE your other half $100 AND ASK FOR A PAIR Of SOX go and sit on the Lani and with a beer in hand or scotch in hand enjoy the hour (or ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.