Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Creatine: is it a useful work-out adjunct?
gymrat44 posted:
I've been working out with weights for a number of years and have heard different buzzes around the gyms I've attended about supplements to take. The one which seems to have some body of research to support its use is creatine but opinions are varied. I hear that some guys cycle on for a month then off again, either to give their bodies a jolt when they resume using it or to avoid side-effects by taking it all the time.

I've been taking 3 tablets before and 3 tablets after heavy work-outs. I seem to be having unexpected strength some days which is what the stuff is supposed to assist with. But I would appreciate some input here, both expert advice and descriptions from users. Thanks!

Emma_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Gymrat44,

I am so glad you've found your way to our Men's Health Community. We do have an article on Understanding Creatine , that might be useful to you.

Also we have a great Fitness and Exercise Communit y, that might also have some additional information for you.

Good luck,
Emma

An_205628 responded:
gymratt - you have given me advice so now it's my turn. Creatine is something I am vary familiar with.

When I was in my 30s a friend took me to the gym to help me bulk up. He was a body builder and used creatine along with a very restrictive diet of mainly fish and fresh fruits and veggies.
I decided to give it a try. I was amazed at how it helped me keep pumped longer and also gain is size. I also noticed that some days the effect wasn't as noticeable. I attributed this to inconsistencies with the brand I was using. If you read the label you will see what the filler is. I found that using the powder mixed with grape juice or water before the workout was more effective that taking capsules.

My advice it to pay very close attention to the list of side effects and follow the instructions on the label of what every brand you are using. Too much creatine will cause headaches and nausea. I also found that drinking coffee too soon after workout would increase the headaches. If you workout in the morning that might be a problem since most people drink coffee in the morning. Remember to drink plenty of water during and after the workout. It helps increase the pump and also flushes out any excess creatine. Using too much of this supplement can put a strain on your kidneys so remember to follow the dosing instructions. Too much of a good thing can hurt you.

I stopped using creatine after a few years but the effects of it are still present. Before I started I was very thin. Now I have a lot of muscle and when I workout it is easy to get pumped even without using creatine.

gymrat44 replied to An_205628's response:
Hi 163802 -- thanks much for your info on creatine. Yes, I did go around the bend with you recently and perhaps was too insistent on what I said. But I do appreciate your thoughts on creatine use. This is a community of give and take and now it's my turn to take.

I have been taking creatine regularly both before and after morning weight room sessions (3 times a week) for some time and have been beginning to bulk up somewhat. But I have been thinking that possibly now that I've gained some momentum that it could be a good time to "cycle off" the creatine. In a couple weeks my supply will be used up. Instead of buying some more I'll save the money and see if I can't make similar progress without it. (After all, I'll still have the Androgel to be using which I believe does help with muscular growth). I'll come back and post in two months to let you know how I'm doing.

Thanks again, buddy!

Helpful Tips

Yoga and Aging
I'm a female who has found that yoga really helps prevents the aches and pains as I age. My body feels very young and I am 51! More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 4 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.