Skip to content
Breaking News! USDA ditches Food Pyramid for "My Plate"
Amelia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Earlier today, the USDA unveiled the new "My Plate" icon that replaces the out-dated food pyramid.

This will be the beginning of an increased effort to bring more attention to the recently updated USDA/HHS Dietary guidelines. The colorful plate is a much simpler visual guide to how much of each food group we should eat on a daily basis. For your convenience, WebMD has designed a printable version of the plate for our members. We hope you'll print it out and hang it on your fridge and also share it with your friends and family.

Be sure to read the full story here -- USDA Ditches Food Pyramid for Healthy Plate .

Have you made any changes to your diet lately to eat more healthy? If so, take our POLL on the Food & Cooking board and tell us what steps you have taken.

Yours in Health,
Amelia and The WebMD Community Staff

gymrat44 responded:
The new "my plate" is a significant change in giving us a direct image of what proportions we should have on our plates. Being a typical "meat and potatotes" type of guy I've had trouble making my vegetables be more than an afterthought. If they're going to take up half of my plate -- as they cetainly should -- I need to give the veggies better attention.

You guys got some ideas out there on how to shake up our "training table" to get more of our requirements from the regular foods we eat instead of depending so much on the supplements we make such a big deal over?

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to gymrat44's response:
Good call, gymrat!

According to the Healthiest Foods for Men Slideshow :

"Orange vegetables are an excellent source of beta-carotene, lutein, and vitamin C. These nutrients lower your odds of developing an enlarged prostate." This includes red peppers, carrots and sweet potatoes.

Leafy greens, such as "spinach, collard greens, and kale can benefit the eyes as well as the prostate."

Check out the slideshow for more superfoods for men! Also, please add to the list! Personally, I always love to hear what men love and hate when it comes to healthy foods. :)

Helpful Tips

after 50
GIVE your other half $100 AND ASK FOR A PAIR Of SOX go and sit on the Lani and with a beer in hand or scotch in hand enjoy the hour (or ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.