Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Which type of DR
    wmango posted:
    I am due for my a check-up. which type of Dr would be best for a 54 year old ? a general Practicioner or a Dr that specializes in Internal Medicine?
    Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi wmango!

    You should be very proud of yourself for taking action with your health and getting a checkup!

    Call your general practitioner and let them know the last time that you visited a doctor. They should be able to get you on track and if something needs to be seen, they can refer you to a specialist. After 50, you can expect health screenings and immunizations to protect you from life-threatening conditions as well as the regular basic health examinations.

    Here is a great 50 Checkup Overview for you to look over and prepare yourself. These Annual Physicals and Male Tuneups overviews should cover the rest of the examinations.

    Wishing you the best of health!
    Sheldon Marks, MD responded:
    The advantage to an internist is that they specialize in people just like you, where general practitioners also do pediatrics, OB and GYN. etc. Even more important that the specialty is the doctor him or herself. A top doctor that stays up on things will keep you healthy, happy and alive.

    Helpful Tips

    Could it be a plantar's wart?
    I'm a 62 year old male with a very sore, bruised feeling on the bottom of my left foot, in the heel actually, this just came up about 36 ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 1 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.