Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Ejaculation & Prostate
revdave1952 posted:
A number of years ago a freind of mine had prostatitis.His doctor said he needed to have sex more often to keep the prostate healthy. (My friend told the doctor that he'd have to be the one to tell his wife of this prescription!)
Is there a relationship between the frequency of sex and a healthy prostate?

Guthrie53 responded:
That's a great question. Dr. Marks, it you see this question, can you give us some data on this?

Sheldon Marks, MD responded:
This is a common question. In general, regular use of any body part the way it was designed is a good idea. Infrequent ejaculation can result in a build up of fluid and pressure. It also allows fluid to remain static and so can increase chances for infection as men get older. There are many experts that think that regular ejaculation actually decreases risks for prostate cancers. So, yes, regular ejaculation is probably for most a good idea.

Meant2B2 replied to Sheldon Marks, MD's response:
Dr. Sheldon,

A follow up question if I may. I have ha a vasectomy some 9 years ago, and after ready your post above, I thought about the effects of my vasectomy as it relates to prostate cancer or even testicular cancer. Has there been any studies linking vasectomies with increased risk of cancer? If so, would you summarize or direct me to them? Thank you in advance for your time and thoughtful consideration.

Respectfully,

Meant2B2

Helpful Tips

Dizziness while urinating
I experience dizziness when ever i am lying down or when i have to go to the bathroom?can you tell me what the problem is? More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 14 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.