Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Chest pain
KMB317 posted:
Hello, this is my first posting to these communities so I apologize if I'm not really in the right spot. My question is actually for my husband.
He's 28, slightly overweight, and is a regular smoker (3/4 PPD for the last 10 years)
I'm an LPN and currently in school to complete my RN and I took his vitals:
Apical HR: 82
BP: 142/92
Resp: 12/min regular, he does have crackles upon inspiration in right anterior inferior lung. I had him do 3 sets of deep breathing and coughing but the sounds continue. He took 15 ml of guaifenesin but that was only an hour ago.
He is currently afebrile.
My initial concern was with his lung sounds (he had pneumonia as a child and being a smoker certainly doesn't help him any) but then he started complaining of substernal chest pain. This set off some immediate red lights to me but he continues to dismiss them. He identifies the pain as "cramping" that comes and goes and is not aggrevated by activity or relieved by rest. He's rating the pain as a 5-6 on a scale of 1-10.
He doesn't have any shortness of breath, sweating, or nausea.

Within all my textbooks and what I can remember, I can't find a cause of a chest pain that isn't to be concerned about. So, that's my question. Could it be related to whatever he has going on with his lungs? Should he go in? Am I just being an over-paranoid nursing student?
Any advice would be great! thank you so much in advance!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi KMB317!

I'm sorry for the late reply and just wanted to see how your husband and you are doing, now. Is he feeling better? Did you all decide to see a doctor? Please keep us posted!

As you already know and can also read HERE , chest pain can occur for a number reasons. It is never a bad idea to see a medical professional about a health concern when you are worried.

Look forward to hearing back and wishing you both the best!
Amelia

Sheldon Marks, MD responded:
Sounds like probably just some inflammation of his lungs or the lining but not anything you should be diagnosing by yourself or on internet- he should be seen to be sure.

quarinteen1 responded:
This sounds so familiar. When I was 25 I started having chest pains that dropped me and put tears in my eyes. My wife also a LPN told me not to worry about it since healthy 25 year olds dont have heart attacks. A couple years later when I was 27 I was helping a friend move and started having horrible chest pain. Started sweating turned pale and about passed out. They rushed me to the emergenct room and hooked me up and I had st elevations so they called the chopper and sent me off to another hospitol better suited to handle it I assume. They did blood work and my cherponin or what ever was elevated and from what I understand that will not happen unless you have heart damage. So I would have him looked at. 28 year olds do have heart attacks. I have had 5 since.

quarinteen1 replied to quarinteen1's response:
Sorry they ended up diagnosing me with prinzmedals agina I think the spelling is right.

Helpful Tips

male genital physical exams
Dear Doctors, I will lose the new job offer if I don't have their Dr.physical exam. I have avoided exams for over 8 years because I'm too ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.