Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Do guys get holiday stress? Give us the lowdown.
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
My husband never seems to get as keyed up around Thanksgiving as I do. He doesn't sit around and make lists. He doesn't seem to let the fact that the store is closed and we forgot a major ingredient for dinner ruffle him.

He says getting stressed out is a woman thing.

What do the guys here have to say?

Do you get stressed? Maybe you just handle it differently than the women in your life? Tips?

Olivia

overworked_webod responded:
I'm a guy and traveling is always a disaster.

Gone are the days when airlines flew through rain and snowstorms. Now, somebody sneezes and the flight is grounded. Translation: One sneeze can throw off your entire holiday.

Just remember, there's always a pill for stress.

Sheldon Marks, MD responded:
Holidays bring out stress- many men create unrealistic expectations for the magic at holiday time, memories of past holidays - good and bad, memories of deceased loved ones, plus all the drama that seems to accompany the Holidays. I often say, what's the worst that can happen and is it really so bad. We are blessed to be able to celebrate time together with people that are important to us when so many of our troops are scattered in hostile places around the world. If talking that through doesn't work, then encourage taking the dog for a walk, some golf, a card game, horse back ride, something to allow him to calm down and decompress.

timvasi responded:
Preparing a successful holiday feast is a huge undertaking and can be very stressful. Usually in order to feel the stress involved one must be involved in pulling it off. If your husband just does not seem to get keyed up most likely thats because you have always handled the load and he never had to do anything but enjoy it.

Having worked in a supermarket and seeing the precious little faces pressing against the door 2 minutes after we locked it... and having been that person on the other side one time or another, I now make detailed lists, shop days in advanced, leaving that safety net of being able to go back to get what I have forgotten.

Yes I go over my list at least twice after shopping.

Maybe its because I am doing a lot of the cooking, but even from an eating perspective, I really like eating holiday feasts and want them to be perfect, and getting there can be stressful.

So my motto is write it down, shop early, check yourself, and have lots of frosty beverages to enjoy the moments when it all comes together.

Tim

Anon_2313 responded:
For the most part, the holidays don't stress me out but this year is different. My wife is the type of woman who buys everything she wants which leaves me with nothing in the way of ideas for a gift to get her. As the old adage says, "What do you get someone who has everything?!"

And to compound the stresses, my girlfriend is insisting on getting me a gift. What she wants to get for me would be blatant and in-your-face. I am trying to dissuade her as to not risk upsetting my wife.

fenton04 replied to Anon_2313's response:
I have the exact same situation. But I found if I ask my wife's boyfriend for ideas he normally has a great gift that I can get. That way nobody is upset. My wife, my girlfriend, my wifes boyfriend and most of all me!!!

Helpful Tips

after 50
GIVE your other half $100 AND ASK FOR A PAIR Of SOX go and sit on the Lani and with a beer in hand or scotch in hand enjoy the hour (or ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.