Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Creatine
WazBerg posted:
Hello,

I am a high school athlete who is 17 years old. I was wondering if creatine is safe to use for older high school athletes? Does creatine make your heart bigger and lead to ventricular hypertrophy? After you stop taking creatine, does the strength you gain, still stay with you if you continue ingesting good amounts of protein and workout hard?

Thanks

Torcal responded:
My son in college, is an amateur body builder and uses Creatine and other useless supplements. Creatine is not an essential nutrient, it is made by the body from ingested meat products. I am of the opinion, which is no longer given any credence, that none of those supplements are necessary for a person who eats a well-balanced diet. He gets these old wives tales from the other gym rats who were infected by the prior generations of rats. Non-rats read those muscle magazines advertising all those useless supplements.

It's a racket. My son has developed his physiqe by plain and simple sweaty manual labor over a period of seven years. Four hours a day at the gym at least three times a week and often more. It is not my bag but it jacks up his Dopamine. He beefed up even more once he started college again and is fed at least two full meals per day.

Sorry, WazBerg, I digraree. Eat well and don't waste your money on those useless supplements.

MrMiller replied to Torcal's response:
Torcal,

I apologize if this comes off a bit crass, but that is the most asinine and close-minded statement I believe I've heard in a very long time. It is evident that you are clearly NOT part of this small circle of people who take what they do in the gym very seriously or perhaps even workout at all.

These "useless" supplements are tried and true for, as you said generations. They are studied and proven to enhance one's physiological performance far and beyond just eating well. It doesn't work that way. Not to mention, creatine is but 3 amino acids that your body already produces; Arginine, Glycine, and Methionine which simply replenishes ATP stores so that your muscle can keep performing at a level such to build.

That being said, I'm also going to assume you don't condone the use of a good multivitamin? Just a guess. Unfortunately, even with the BEST diet one would still be suffering from both primary deficiencies as well as secondary deficiencies. That is to say, what you're not eating and what you're not pulling from what you are eating. That's simply a mad rant from someone who is truly dedicated to this chosen lifestyle. Supplements are NOT, I repeat NOT steroids. Please respond if you truly have questions and perhaps would like to understand more clearly.

WazBerg, please feel free to contact me with any questions at all wether it's building, cutting, dieting, or overall question about nutrition. I've been in this field for a very long time and now consult as a profession. This is not simply something I'm passionate about.

All the best, Mr Miller.

Sheldon Marks, MD replied to MrMiller's response:
I hate to stir up trouble but actually creatine is associated with some serious complications and problems. in a recent a copy of the journal of special operations medicine, They described a number of men who were on creatine and had serious complications including kidney failure, often associated with the lack of appropriate hydration. I have spent many years traveling the country speaking on diet nutrition as well as writing about it in books, articles and for some of the world experts in alternative health and medicine. I spent many years working out of the gym with very aggressive bodybuilders often in competition and it seems to me, looking back at the majority of the supplements people take for bodybuilding, are based on poorly done studies and word of mouth. It's almost a fad thing - the supplement of the week kind of a problem. And it seems that the supplements Recommended changed from week to week month-to-month based on articles published in a trainers magazine, as did the exercise regimens. Many times the manufacturers of the supplements are the ones behind the research which raises serious questions as to the validity of the conclusions. I think anything taken moderation is probably reasonable but more importantly a healthy intelligent diet with balance exercise is the smart way to proceed especially for teenagers.

Helpful Tips

Dizziness while urinating
I experience dizziness when ever i am lying down or when i have to go to the bathroom?can you tell me what the problem is? More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 14 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.