Skip to content
Would This Be a Medical Condition Causing Slow Facial Hair Growth?
rkumar91 posted:

Before I ask for any help or advice, let me tell you a bit about my self. I am currently 20 years old, I have low thyroid and also have gynecomastia (man boobs). I was diagnosed with low thyroid back in grade 8 (aprox 7 years ago and have been under treatment since), the gynecomastia started around the same time. Now what I believe is that since I have low thyroid(which is the gland that controls your hormones) and gynecomastia(which is caused by higher levels of estrogen build up) that these 2 problems are the main cause for me having little to non facial hair. I've been looking at the male figures from both my moms and dads side of the family and what I noticed is that all of them have hairy faces, even cousins of mine who are younger than me have developed more facial hair. I come from an Indian background and i don't mean to be stereotypical , but we Indians are hairy people. It just doesn't make sense to me that i'm the only male in the family with literally no facial hair and it bothers me making me feel that there is something wrong with me(health wise). I've just recently did a blood test to make sure my hormones are alright, the results will be back in a couple weeks. As for my ways of solving this problem, i've been taking:

- fish oil pill
- flaxseed oil pill
- B12 Vitamin
- Multivitamin
- biotin capsule
- DHT/Testosterone booster powder
- Kirkland 5% minoxidil (applied on face)

I've been taking these everyday. So pretty much what i want to know from you guys is, are these supplements necessary? do you guys consider the low thyroid and gynecomastia to be a big factor for my little to non facial hair? Could i have more of estrogen than testosterone? What other possible advice or help can you guys recommend? I've been told on another forum board to go see a professional endocrinologist and i have no idea what that is?
gymrat44 responded:
What you're asking is probably beyond what most of us in the user/poster community here are able to comment upon. An endocrinologist -- an MD specializing in how your hormones work -- would probably be the best place to take your concerns and find out if what you're doing is best for you.

It can be hard when you're not the same as other people around you -- in your family -- and you would just as soon be like them. We all have ways in which we are unlike others and need to find ways to improve our contentment with what we do have. Good luck in your pursuit of good health and happiness!

Helpful Tips

Similar situation, if I may recommend Mayo Clinic – search on dercum’s disease
I can relate to your frustration! I too was in a car accident and afterward ended up with some lumps appearing on my lower back in the area ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 7 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.