Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Circumcision and Vasectomy
    graemeg posted:
    I am going have a circumcision and vasectomy at the same time, is it normal for an adult to have general anesthesia or should it be a local anesthesia ?
    yankiewankie responded:
    I had local anesthesia during my vasectomy. I think that is standard for vasectomies, and probably circumcisions, too. The most you might feel is some tugging. As I remember it, the nurse held the penis to one side while the doc did the rest, all the while talking to me about my work! I think he was trying to make me feel at ease, but it was difficult to focus on conversation under those circumstances.
    Eugenio311 responded:
    Vasectomy is usually done under local anesthesia. Adult circumcision is usually done under general, unless there is some other medical reason the guy can't have general anesthesia (such as lung or heart disease), in which case spinal anesthesia might be used. Adult circumcision is a lot more complex than infant circumcision. Be sure you get all your questions answered before you have it done.

    Helpful Tips

    Discharge from Penis(Penile Discharge)
    Penile discharge is the abnormal loss of fluid that is not urine or semen from the urethra (urine tube) at the tip of the penis. It is ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 2 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.