Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
propecia
An_244639 posted:
I have been on propecia for a little over a year and did not realize that I was having some of the side effects until I met with a physician two days ago. Unfortunately I did not know what questions to ask until I got back home to do my own research. My issues seem to be mild compared to others I read about but prominent enough that I want to stop taking the pill. My question is if that is any value to slowly getting off the pill instead of stopping all at once. The concern that I have is related to what is referred to as post finasteride synddrome. Not sure how much the concern is being driven by lawyers instead of the medical field (the internist actually told me to keep taking it because from a hair growth perspective it has worked well and my dermatologist has never asked me about side effects) but the thought of it actually getting worse if I quit is alarming.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome to WebMD,

You've probably since heard about the new warnings about this medication:

Propecia, Proscar: New Sexual Dysfunction Warnings

Armed with that, visit your doctor again. Your doctor is also the one who can best help you decide whether you can simply stop taking it or should wean off slowly.

You also may want to discuss with your local pharmacist.

Sheldon Marks, MD responded:
Any medication can cause any side effect. in reality Propecia side effects are rare and minimal. that is not to discount if you really have a problem. but even for the full high dose Proscar sexual side effects impact on only 4 % of men.

Helpful Tips

Yoga and Aging
I'm a female who has found that yoga really helps prevents the aches and pains as I age. My body feels very young and I am 51! More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.